none
Do i need to setup DHCP before i can join my client to my Domain? RRS feed

• Question

• Hello!, I need to join my windows 10 computer(Client) to Windows server 2008 R2 (Domain:smileclubdns.smileclub.com) but it show  me that is can't find this domain name, It still in the same wifi, I don't know how to fix this or I need to setup DHCP before I can join my client to my domain?

• Edited by Tonnamzaza Friday, November 20, 2015 12:57 AM
    Thursday, November 19, 2015 1:18 PM

All replies

• Hi,

If all of your machines are connecting via WIFI , it means that they are using the DHCP of your router , so you don't need any DHCP server, you can check this by simple checking your client's IP address by ipconfig.

but for being able to join your machine to the domain , your machine should be able to resolve the name of domain to IP address of Domain Controller ! so you need to add manually IP address of your internal DNS server (which probably is your DC's IP) in your clients NIC card as a preferred DNS server , keep in mind that they can not resolve internet addresses any more , you need to add another DNS server IP address as alternate DNS server or use DNS forwarding on your DNS server.(there are bunch of different methods but the key is resolving the domain name !)

Masoud,

Monday, November 23, 2015 6:38 AM