none
SP2013 - subsite missing webparts RRS feed

• Question

• Hi everyone,

We have a subsite that is missing the content edit webpart.  I have enabled the publishing feature on the site collection and the publishing feature on the subsite per previous posts and I am still not seeing the webpart appear.  If the user is give read or contribute access to the site collection the web part appears, but we do not what to give users permissions to the site collection.  Permissions are unique on the subsite and are not inheriting from the parent.

Any suggestions are appreciated!

Thanks,
    Hyde

There is nothing more difficult to take in hand, more perilous to conduct or more uncertain in its success than to take the lead in the introduction of a new order of things.

Thursday, July 18, 2019 6:25 PM

Answers

• Hi, Hyde,

To use content editor web part in a sub-site, the user account need to have at least Read Permission in the Web Part Gallery in the Site Collection. You can get to the web part gallery through Site Settings>Web Designer Galleries>Web Parts. 

The web parts gallery is a document library. If you do not want to give users permissions to the site collection, a unique permission in the web part gallery is an option for you. 

Break the permission inheritance of the Web part gallery, grant users Read permission, then they can use content editors in the sub site. Tutorial here:https://support.office.com/en-us/article/customize-permissions-for-a-sharepoint-list-or-library-02d770f3-59eb-4910-a608-5f84cc297782

Best Regards

Jerry

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

SharePoint Server 2019 has been released, you can click here to download it.
    Click here to learn new features. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about SharePoint Server 2019.

• Marked as answer by Hyde_311 Friday, July 19, 2019 4:59 PM
    Friday, July 19, 2019 6:16 AM

All replies

• Webpart itself doesn't affected by permission.

I guess that the page which has the webpart has been modified and not be published yet. So only users with enough permissions can view the unpulished newest version.

Please also confirm that the this is not caused by web browser.

Justin Liu Office Apps & Services MVP, MCSE
    Senior Software Engineer
    Please Vote and Mark as Answer if it helps you.

Friday, July 19, 2019 1:19 AM
  • Hi, Hyde,

To use content editor web part in a sub-site, the user account need to have at least Read Permission in the Web Part Gallery in the Site Collection. You can get to the web part gallery through Site Settings>Web Designer Galleries>Web Parts. 

The web parts gallery is a document library. If you do not want to give users permissions to the site collection, a unique permission in the web part gallery is an option for you. 

Break the permission inheritance of the Web part gallery, grant users Read permission, then they can use content editors in the sub site. Tutorial here:https://support.office.com/en-us/article/customize-permissions-for-a-sharepoint-list-or-library-02d770f3-59eb-4910-a608-5f84cc297782

Best Regards

Jerry

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

SharePoint Server 2019 has been released, you can click here to download it.
    Click here to learn new features. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about SharePoint Server 2019.

• Marked as answer by Hyde_311 Friday, July 19, 2019 4:59 PM
    Friday, July 19, 2019 6:16 AM
  • Thanks Jerry!  All the research I have found has lead me to that conclusion, but I wanted to make sure there wasn't another way.  That seems such a weird little caveat.  I guess I will have to give the user permissions on that doc library. 

Thanks again for the reply.  Have a great day!
    Hyde

There is nothing more difficult to take in hand, more perilous to conduct or more uncertain in its success than to take the lead in the introduction of a new order of things.

Friday, July 19, 2019 4:59 PM