Workflow help - complicated cross-lookup in a OOB Group Work Site RRS feed

• Question

• I’m somewhat new to workflows and I’m trying to construct something that is much more complicated than I was originally expecting.

Setup:

• I have a Group Work Site using the OOB Calendar for booking items from the built-in Resources list.
    • I have added custom columns to the Resources list:  Equipment Owner (person) and Equipment Location (choice/string).

Here is what I am trying to accomplish:

When a new reservation is created on the Calendar, I want to do the following...

Look up what Resources have been booked, and email the corresponding Equipment Owner(s) notifying them that a new reservation has been made, including details from the reservation (such as Start time & Created By fields). 

• If there are 3 items with Owner A and 1 item with Owner B, both owners should only get one email with a list of reserved equipment in the email (rather than getting a single email for every Resource that has been booked).
    • I have not figured out how to do this, since it needs information from two different lists (Calendar & Resources), and there is a potential for multiple Resources to be booked on a single reservation.

Specifically, here are my questions: how do I look up which equipment has been booked?  How do I gather a list of Equipment Owners for the email I want to generate?  How do I include these fields (Resources, Equipment Owners) in the To and Body fields of my workflow email?  How do I include reservation event/calendar fields in the same email?  Should I make the workflow on the Calendar list or the Resources list?

When the equipment is due (reservation End Time has been reached), I want to do the following...

Email the reservation creator (Created By in Calendar list) notifying them to return the equipment to the Equipment Location (Resources list). 

• I have not figured out how to do this either, with similar questions as my previous email in the workflow.

Basically, I need to know how to include fields from other lists based on what resources have been selected, which is potentially multiple items.  I'm not even sure it is possible.  Any information or suggestions would be helpful!

Wednesday, August 24, 2011 4:37 PM

All replies

• Quick note... as long as one email goes out to all of the owners, that's ok, I don't need the specific setup: If there are 3 items with Owner A and 1 item with Owner B, both owners should only get one email with a list of reserved equipment in the email (rather than getting a single email for every Resource that has been booked). I can just have one email sent to Owners A & B and list all equipment that has been reserved.
    • Edited by Emir Liu Monday, September 5, 2011 2:37 AM format revise
    Wednesday, August 24, 2011 5:22 PM