none
Can I get a straight answer from someone from Microsoft RRS feed

• Question

• Hi

I'm wondering if there is a decent upgrade to the report viewer in the making, and if so when will it appear. The main reason I'm asking is that I have spent considerable time in implementing reports in an asp.net application to be used in over 200 schools, which is now in pilot and will be for the next 3 months. However there is serious short comings in the report viewer reports (output as pdf), which I was hopeful would be addressed in time, not least is the ability to output HTML stored in the database as actual HTML in the report, page headers and footer limitations, inability to programatically control page breaks and object locations and sizes and so on. I have convinced the client that these issues will be addressed before the launch but I haven't seen anything in the last year that makes me think you are taking this application seriously.

So I would be really grateful if you could tell me what is the plan for the report viewer, should I stick with it or should I now cut my losses and fork out for crystal reports or some other more sophisticated report writer.

Thanks

Friday, August 3, 2007 1:20 AM

All replies

• Some of that problems you mentioned can be solved if you generate the rdlc file programatically, ie - you have to implement your own engine that will calculate positions, sizes and so on, but even then some stuff is out of reach because of report viewer parser and other underlying stuff ... It's tedious work, but can be done, sometimes you feel like rewriting the report viewer, designer  and extending rdl format a bit Smile I think that there are some improvements in new vs2008 version, like compressed pdf images in local mode and such, but better to let someone from MS to answer with more details Smile

LePiaf
    Friday, August 3, 2007 2:04 PM
  • Has anyone from microsoft answered this question.  I am about to make a deicsion regarding  crystal v report writer and would be much more comfortable leaping into the MS solution if I saw some indication that MS is going to stick with this...

Tuesday, August 7, 2007 3:57 PM
  • You would be better off asking the question in the Katmai forums, because that is where they are discussing the next version <s>.

Please read this thread http://forums.microsoft.com/MSDN/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=1827171&SiteID=1

>L<

Friday, August 10, 2007 12:30 AM