Installing SharePoint Foundation 2013 Prerequisites on Windows Server 2012 R2 Standard RRS feed

• Question

• I am trying to install SP 2013 Foundation Prerequisites on a Windows Server 2012 R2 Standard environment. Unforunately, I am not even able to get past the prerequisites. First, it was throwing an error related to Sync Framework v1 runtime and so I installed this manually. Then, when I ran the prerequisite installer again, I keep getting error for AppFabric 1.1, saying it is not able to install this. The interesting thing is that, it already has AppFabric 1.1 installed, although not all the features of AppFabric like Caching Services and Cache Administration are installed (rest of them are installed). When I try to manually enable these features, it doesn't let me. So, I am stuck now. Can anyone please help me? I tried out many things like removing the environment variable for AppFabric, following the powershell approach for installing the prereqs and so on, but no luck.

Ven

Tuesday, July 24, 2018 3:18 AM

Answers

• Hi Venh, 

I met the similar AppFabric 1.1 error on Windows 2012 R2 before, maybe you can check and try if the below solution can fix the issue.

Steps:-

1. Go to Control Panel -> System, click "Advanced System Settings"
    2. In System Properties, Click "Environment Variables"
    3. In pop-up windows, click "Advanced" tab, then click PSModulePath and edit.
    4.Remove character " at the end of Variable Value table

5. Then install AppFabric1.1 again.

• Edited by Tina YiMVP Tuesday, July 24, 2018 3:35 AM
    • Marked as answer by Venh Thursday, July 26, 2018 11:14 AM
    Tuesday, July 24, 2018 3:34 AM
  • I am trying to install SP 2013 Foundation Prerequisites on a Windows Server 2012 R2 Standard environment. Unforunately, I am not even able to get past the prerequisites. First, it was throwing an error related to Sync Framework v1 runtime and so I installed this manually. Then, when I ran the prerequisite installer again, I keep getting error for AppFabric 1.1, saying it is not able to install this. The interesting thing is that, it already has AppFabric 1.1 installed, although not all the features of AppFabric like Caching Services and Cache Administration are installed (rest of them are installed). When I try to manually enable these features, it doesn't let me. So, I am stuck now. Can anyone please help me? I tried out many things like removing the environment variable for AppFabric, following the powershell approach for installing the prereqs and so on, but no luck.

Ven

Hi,  Make sure that you can browse the internet and that the enhanced internet security is turned off for admins.  You can check this from server manager > local server > IE Enhanced Security Configuration

After you have that disabled or off, then try to perform a fresh install.  You're best bet is to get a fresh image of windows on this server, not the one where app fabric was manually installed, and then make sure the server can reach the internet.  If you're unable to reach the internet then follow the approach for an offline install, using a fresh image.

Stacy Simpkins | MCSE Productivity | MCSE SharePoint 2013 | anothersharepointblog.com

Tuesday, July 24, 2018 4:02 PM

All replies

• Hi Venh, 

I met the similar AppFabric 1.1 error on Windows 2012 R2 before, maybe you can check and try if the below solution can fix the issue.

Steps:-

1. Go to Control Panel -> System, click "Advanced System Settings"
    2. In System Properties, Click "Environment Variables"
    3. In pop-up windows, click "Advanced" tab, then click PSModulePath and edit.
    4.Remove character " at the end of Variable Value table

5. Then install AppFabric1.1 again.

• Edited by Tina YiMVP Tuesday, July 24, 2018 3:35 AM
    Tuesday, July 24, 2018 3:34 AM
  • Really appreciate your quick response and willingness to help. But I have the following entries for PSModulePath.

C:\Windows\system32\WindowsPowerShell\v1.0\Modules\;C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft SQL Server\110\Tools\PowerShell\Modules;C:\Program Files\AppFabric 1.1 for Windows Server\PowershellModules;C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft SQL Server\120\Tools\PowerShell\Modules\

Ven

Tuesday, July 24, 2018 3:46 AM
  • Hi Venh, 

Try to remove everything you have installed and start fresh using this article. 

https://manojviduranga.wordpress.com/2014/06/23/install-sharepoint-2013-prerequisites-offline/

Tuesday, July 24, 2018 7:31 AM
  • Just confirm, whether there is the extraneous " at the end of PSModulePath value? If yes, remove trailing "
    Tuesday, July 24, 2018 7:41 AM

Ven

Hi,  Make sure that you can browse the internet and that the enhanced internet security is turned off for admins.  You can check this from server manager > local server > IE Enhanced Security Configuration

After you have that disabled or off, then try to perform a fresh install.  You're best bet is to get a fresh image of windows on this server, not the one where app fabric was manually installed, and then make sure the server can reach the internet.  If you're unable to reach the internet then follow the approach for an offline install, using a fresh image.

Stacy Simpkins | MCSE Productivity | MCSE SharePoint 2013 | anothersharepointblog.com

Tuesday, July 24, 2018 4:02 PM
  • Two quick things to check:

1. Make sure there's internet connectivity inside the server. Since this Online mode installation it requires internet access to download those missing files.

2. .Net Framework 3.5 feature must be installed, verify.

Hope this helps.

Tuesday, July 24, 2018 4:11 PM
  • Hi,

How are things going? I'm willing to hear from you.

Best regards,

Allen Bai

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

Thursday, July 26, 2018 9:48 AM
  • Thanks for checking and thanks to all of you for the pointers. I could go past to some extent but still facing issues. Here are the details.

First of all, it was a Windows Server 2012 R2 Standard VM which was given to me. I didn't know whether it was a fresh VM or not (not sure what all prerequisites / softwares were installed before which are not required). So, when I checked, I found that, App Fabric 1.1 was already installed. So, I uninstalled this and restarted the machine. Then I ensured the following things.

1. The SPModulePath in Environment variables didn't have the trailing " character.

2. The IE Enhanced Security configuration is off for both Users and Admins

3. Turned off firewall.

4. Ensured downloads are allowed from IE settings for Internet zone.

5. Windows Update service is running.

Then also, it gave me a hard time. Once it even gave the impression of installing fine, but was prompting for reboot continuously. So, I stopped it and restored the VM to its original state and started all over again. Then it said, the Prerequisites got installed. But now, when I proceed to install SP 2013 foundation, it is still saying that .Net framework 4.5 is not installed. But, I can clearly see it in the features. Also, when I manually try to download and install .Net framework 4.5, it says, it is already installed. I am very confused. Can anyone please help me?

Ven

Thursday, July 26, 2018 10:38 AM
  • Ok. I solved the final issue using the following link.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-in/help/3087184/sharepoint-2013-or-project-server-2013-setup-error-if-the-net-framewor

Hope it helps someone. Thanks to all who gave useful pointers. I may have to mark multiple replies as answers. Not sure if this is supported.

Ven

Thursday, July 26, 2018 11:13 AM