none
Ubuntu 14.04 with Azure File Storage FSTAB mount drops after some time

Question

• I have an Ubuntu 14.04 server that has an Azure File Storage mount that auto mounts on boot via an FSTAb. To create this config, I followed the instructions in this article, and it works fine.

The issue I am having is after a while, intermittently, the mount drops. It doesn't seem to be at any particular set time, or event, the only way I know it is gone is user's complain they cannot upload files (the app persists the files on the Azure file mount). If I try to cd to the mount, my console just hangs.. if I try to do a df -h to list everything, the console also hangs. The only way I am able to get things back to normal is if I reboot the server, then everything is fine again.

I am suspicious that the connection to Azure's file storage may be intermittently dropping and coming back, but maybe the server is just not remounting when it is available again? I have a couple other (Windows) servers connected to the same file share and I do not experience this issue, so far. Has anyone else experienced this, and is there maybe a configuration that I can do to remount the share automatically if it becomes unavailable?

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Monday, July 4, 2016 6:55 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Thank you for posting here!

Is your Ubuntu server in your local environment or in Azure (hosted in Azure VM)?

The reason your Ubuntu server hosted in Azure VM will work is because Azure File Storage accept SMB 2.1 connection if the client is in the same Azure region as the file share. However, when you try mount from your Ubuntu server in local (in another word - mount from on-premises), Azure File Storage request SMB 3.0 with Encryption enforced from client, but SMB 3.0 Encryption is something Linux doesn't support yet, so it won't work at this moment even you specified SMB 3.0 in your command line.

To use Azure File Storage with Linux, please refer below mentioned document.

https://azure.microsoft.com/en-us/documentation/articles/storage-how-to-use-files-linux/#video-using-azure-file-storage-with-linux

Regards,

Vikranth S.

Tuesday, July 5, 2016 9:21 AM
  • Hi Sharbel,

Couple of ideas:

1. You can start by looking at the system logs to see if there is any valuable information there. Either syslog or auth logs to check for connection or authentication issues on the client side... 
    2. Take a look at the diagnostics of your file share in Azure portal. This will help you check for availability and errors on the storage side...
    3. 3rd option is to create a support ticket and someone should be able to help you investigate the issue.

Wissam

Wednesday, July 6, 2016 10:12 PM