none
SharePoint Rich Text Editor not working in Firefox and Chrome RRS feed

• Question

• I used a SharePoint Rich Text Editor in a visual web part ,it works fine in Internet Explorer but when i open the same visual web part page in other browsers it does not work and showing only the rectangular box and link(Click for help about adding HTML formatting.).Find below the Screen shots of the same web part page in different browsers.

IE Browser Screen Shot:

Firefox Browser Screen Shot:

Chrome Browser Screen Shot

How i used Rich Text Editor:

First i registered the sharepoint rich text box in visual web part .ascx file as below.

<%@ Register Assembly="Microsoft.SharePoint, Version=12.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=71e9bce111e9429c" Namespace="Microsoft.SharePoint.WebControls" TagPrefix="RichTextEditor" %>

Then i used the rich text editor as below

<RichTextEditor:InputFormTextBox Style="width: 70%; height: 120px;" ID="txtBoxDescription" Enabled="false" TextMode="MultiLine" Rows="9" RichTextMode="FullHTML" RichText="true" MaxLength="8000" runat="server">  
    </RichTextEditor:InputFormTextBox>

Note:

Internet Explorer Version:  IE 9 (9.0.8112.16421)

Firefox Version: Firefox 23.0 or greater version

Google Chrome Version:  29.0.1547.66

Quick help will be highly appreciated.

Friday, September 20, 2013 7:14 AM

Answers

All replies

• Hi Mohammad, 

The RichTextEditor is only supported in IE browsers. Please see this similar thread: http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/sharepoint/en-US/8133e762-d996-4672-a176-aa37f45c46c0/sharepoint-text-control-with-rich-text-edit-tools-on-ribbon

For reference, see this post on the SharePoint blog, here: http://sharepoint.microsoft.com/blog/Pages/BlogPost.aspx?pID=902

Quote:

An example of functionality that is available in a more limited form would be our "rich text" fields.  In our current release, SharePoint provides a rich text editor with an easy to use rich text toolbar.  To do so, we took advantage of some IE-specific functionality available at the time.  Unfortunately, we weren't able to find room in our schedule for the new version to convert our rich text toolbar to use a more cross-browser compatible technology.  So instead, we're letting end users type in "safe" HTML tags in the rich text fields to achieve the same rich text effects.

UnQuote

Regards, Matthew
    MCPD | MCITP
    My Blog
    Please remember to click "Mark As Answer" if a post solves your problem or "Vote As Helpful" if it was useful.

I just added a webpart to the TechNet Gallery that allows administrative users to upload, crop and format user profile photos. Check it out here: Upload and Crop User Profile Photos

Friday, September 20, 2013 9:23 AM
  • What if the users are not developers and do not know HTML tags? How do you suppose they enter properly formatted data? Not everyone can afford to have a team of developers on staff or bring in consultants. I am seeing this same issue happening in a few installs of IE11. Not all of our users with IE11 are experiencing this issue, but a few are and all users are on the same version of the browser.
    Wednesday, January 13, 2016 6:18 PM