Different files inside vsix between VS2015 and VS2017 when create a item template vsix project RRS feed

• Question

• Hi all,

I don't know is this a VS2017 issue or not. I create vsix project between VS2015 and VS 2017 but inside vsix file there different files.

Steps:

1. Run vs2017 New-Project-VSIX Project.

2. Click "source.extension.vsixmanifest" choose "Assets" tab.

3. New-Type:ItemTemplates-Source:File on file system- Browe found MyItemTemplates.zip.

4. Build project and it create a vsix.

5. Unpack this vsix file Under "ItemTemplates" folder there is "MyItemTemplates" folder, in this folder are files.

Same step do it again by using VS2015. You can see under "ItemTemplates" there is a "MyItemTemplates.zip"

Can anyone explain this different between VS2015 and VS2017 ? 

Best wishes,
    Lee

Monday, June 5, 2017 8:49 AM

Answers

• Hi Li Jun Jie,

Based on your description and related steps, I create a demo and reproduce it on my side, I have not find related document to introduce the changing about it.

But about project and item template changing in vs2017, please refer the following content.

Starting in Visual Studio 2017, scanning for custom project and item templates will no longer be performed. Instead, the extension must provide template manifest files that describe the install location of these templates. You can use Visual Studio 2017 to update your VSIX extensions. If you deploy your extension using an MSI, you must generate the template manifest files by hand. For more information, see Upgrading Custom Project and Item Templates for Visual Studio 2017. The template manifest schema is documented in Visual Studio Template Manifest Schema Reference.

For more information, please refer to:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/visualstudio/extensibility/what-s-new-in-the-visual-studio-2017-sdk

Best regards,

Cole Wu

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

• Marked as answer by Li Jun Jie Wednesday, June 7, 2017 12:21 AM
    Tuesday, June 6, 2017 6:48 AM

All replies

• Hi Li Jun Jie,

Based on your description and related steps, I create a demo and reproduce it on my side, I have not find related document to introduce the changing about it.

But about project and item template changing in vs2017, please refer the following content.

Starting in Visual Studio 2017, scanning for custom project and item templates will no longer be performed. Instead, the extension must provide template manifest files that describe the install location of these templates. You can use Visual Studio 2017 to update your VSIX extensions. If you deploy your extension using an MSI, you must generate the template manifest files by hand. For more information, see Upgrading Custom Project and Item Templates for Visual Studio 2017. The template manifest schema is documented in Visual Studio Template Manifest Schema Reference.

For more information, please refer to:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/visualstudio/extensibility/what-s-new-in-the-visual-studio-2017-sdk

Best regards,

Cole Wu

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

• Marked as answer by Li Jun Jie Wednesday, June 7, 2017 12:21 AM
    Tuesday, June 6, 2017 6:48 AM
  • Thank you for you information.
    Wednesday, June 7, 2017 12:22 AM