How to install Compact Framework 2.0? RRS feed

• Question

• I can't figure out what files to use to install the compact framework 2.0 on a new portable scanner with CE 5.0 installed.  I just got several new PSC 4420s, which I need to install at customer sites next week, and I'm trying to get everything installed and running properly without doing a deploy from vs 2005, so that I will know how to deal with issues at the customer site when I can't be there with my development computer.

The scanner shipped with CE 5.0, and I copied the SQL cab files over to the scaner's flash and installed them with no problem, plus my application program.  But when I try to run it, it tells me that it needs a newer version of compact framework.  I assumed the CF 2.0 came with the scanner, but when I look in the 'remove programs' in control panel, I see that it is not installed at all.

I have tried copying dotnetfx.exe (for cf 2.0) over to the scanner's flash and running it, but it says it is not a valid windows file.  I also tried copying netcfsetupv2.msi to flash and tried to run it, but it says there is no application associated with it.  What am I missing here?

Back when I was installing cf 1.1 on an earlier ce 4.2 scanner, I used a folder on my development computer that seems to be specifically for the purpose of installing cf 1.1 on a device; in the folder are bunch of .cab and .dll files, and a ncfsetup.exe file, and when I ran that ncfsetup.exe, it told me that it was about to install net compact framework 1.1 to my mobile device.  Maybe if I could find the same set of files for cf 2.0 I would solve my problem, but I don't know where I got these files for cf 1.1.

At the customer site, I'd like to put a "PSC" folder on their PC with installation files for SQL, my app, and also CF 2.0, so that I can install these things to their scanner at any time.  So, I'm hoping someone can tell me where to find the proper files for CF 2.0 installation.

Thank you!
    Thursday, April 6, 2006 2:37 PM

Answers

• Yes, netcfsetupv2.msi is the correct file, but you suppose to run it on desktop, not device. It would unpack CAB files and push the right one to device via Active Sync 4.0 or above.

If you don't have Active Sync, you'd need to pick correct CAB, copy it to device and click on it to install.

Please see this for description which CAB is for which device:

http://blogs.msdn.com/netcfteam/archive/2005/10/11/479793.aspx

If NETCF MSI was installed by Visual Studio 2005, you can find CABs at this default location:

%ProgramFiles%\Microsoft Visual Studio 8\SmartDevices\SDK\CompactFramework\2.0\v2.0\WindowsCE

Thursday, April 6, 2006 8:58 PM