App crashes in review - Runs perfectly when tested locally

Question

• Hi,

I have been trying to submit the first version of my first Windows Store App for a couple of days now. Each time I submit it for review I the certification fails because the app crashes. Problem is, that I cannot reproduce the issue locally and that the information I get back from the review are very thin:

"Your app doesn't meet requirement 3.2.

Using the Windows App Certification Kit on a Windows RT system with this app, we couldn't get passing results when tested. Unfortunately, when our reviewers tried to launch your app failed to launch every time. Our reviewers were unable to complete a review."

When I run the submitted version on a RT device using the latest version of WACK the app passes without any problem. I did several tests to find the source of the problem but the app worked just fine. I re-submitted the app with some additional exceptions handlers and error logging and asked for a more detailed feedback if the would still be problems. A few hours later I got back the exact same result. Seems that the reviewers did not notice the review notes at all.

I wondered if the problem only shows up in the ARM version and so I submitted a new version that only included x86 and x64 builds. The result was the same text template, just without the reference to an RT sytem:

"Unfortunately, when our reviewers tried to launch your app failed to launch every time. Our reviewers were unable to complete a review."

I wonder what the "Notes to testers" are good for, if testers do not pay any attentions to these information. Anyway, I have still no idea what the source of the problem could be.

Of course I checked the CrashLog that was supplied by the review team and followed these instructions to debug the .dmp file:http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/apps/jj933262.aspx

This leads to an exception within combase.dll but I was not able to see what code exactly might have caused this exception. The .hdmp file that was supplied with the crashlog is empty. Doesn't that mean, that the app was not even loaded? How could the memory dump be empty if the app was running?

I do not have a lot of experience in analysing CrashLogs. Maybe someone could give me a hint what I have to look fore? I uploaded the CrashLog from the review to my OneDrive. Would be great if someone could have a look at it and let me know if he sees anything that might have caused the crash.

http://1drv.ms/1jbD7QF

Thank you very much!

Friday, April 18, 2014 8:09 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Could you please open a support ticket through aka.ms/storesupport and select appropriate topic under "App Development" .

-Sagar

Friday, April 18, 2014 10:54 AM
  • Hi,

I already tried this but end up on a page where I have to select a payment method. 260 USD is quite a lot just to get some information. I am not looking for someone who solves the problem for me but just one who could give me a hint what the problem actually IS...

Review say: App crashes every time.

Local tests (performed by myself and some other testers on different devices and systems): No problems at all.

Thus so far I don't even see/recognize the problem, that does not make it easier to solve the problem. Any help that could point me into the right direction is very much appreciated.

Friday, April 18, 2014 7:50 PM
  • Hi,

I see that there is a ""ACCESS DENIED" error in the logs. Does the code try to access something during start-up that requires a capability to be enabled? You could review the start-up code that requires capability/access permissions and try re-submitting the Release version of package for certification.

Sagar

Monday, April 21, 2014 2:17 PM
  • Hi,

thank you for your response and for looking into the logs.Sorry for the delayed answer, I have been out of office for a few days.

Where exactly (in which log file) did you find the "ACCESS DENIED" message?

On first launch the App copies a SQLite db file from the app package to the apps LocalStorage. After this done the apps connects itself to this database and starts using it. This is all.

No access to restricted folders or capabilities.

What could be the reason that access is denied in review but not in all test cases I ran locally?

Thursday, April 24, 2014 6:37 AM
  • I had the same thing happen to my app.  Tested fine locally but kept failing the review process.  At launch, the app was suppose to check for data from the local folder to determine certain things.  MS's program to review can't deal with an app that does anything automatically at launch.  I solved this by moving the process of checking the data to when the user first interacts with the app.
    Thursday, April 24, 2014 10:41 AM
  • Hi,

I see the error code 80070005  in the event log XML file which represents the ACCESS DENIIED error. Also, since you are using SQLite, make sure you are building separate packages for the different platforms that the App is targeting (x64/x86/ARM) while re-submitting for certification.

Sagar

Thursday, April 24, 2014 10:44 AM
  • I had the same thing happen to my app.  Tested fine locally but kept failing the review process.  At launch, the app was suppose to check for data from the local folder to determine certain things.  MS's program to review can't deal with an app that does anything automatically at launch.  I solved this by moving the process of checking the data to when the user first interacts with the app.

Thank you for that hint, but it is a little bit vague. Does not every app do "something automatically at launch". The weather app loads the current weather report on launch. The news app loads the latest news on launch. My app copies a db file and connects to it. Could you explain in more detail how you solved this problem?

Thursday, April 24, 2014 1:47 PM
  • I had the same thing happen to my app.  Tested fine locally but kept failing the review process. I tried 3 times before getting it accepted. I never figured out what was wrong. The last submission, I just incremented the build number and submitted it. The previous submission the build number did not change and I wonder if the new submission really got uploaded.

Thursday, April 24, 2014 3:15 PM
  • Hi Ag,

You can trace down the issue using WinDbg and you application symbols.  Here is a blog on how to trace down your error:

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/ntdebugging/archive/2014/01/13/debugging-a-windows-8-1-store-app-crash-dump.aspx

You will note that in your case the error appears to come from your code and indeed is the access denied mentioned in the log file Sagar mentions later.

This windbg command will list some more information as well:

!analyze -v

You will see that your code is making a call that results in the exception code specified:

~6s; .ecxr ; kb

Even stranger in the stack it appears some invalid addresses are in your code:

16 000000e2`1f50f130 000000e2`059b6520 mscorlib_ni+0x13576f4
    17 000000e2`1f50f138 000000e2`059be980 0x000000e2`059b6520
    18 000000e2`1f50f140 aaaaaaaa`aaaaaaaa 0x000000e2`059be980
    19 000000e2`1f50f148 000000e2`059b3fe0 0xaaaaaaaa`aaaaaaaa
    1a 000000e2`1f50f150 000000e2`059b3fe0 0x000000e2`059b3fe0
    1b 000000e2`1f50f158 00007fff`45200522 0x000000e2`059b3fe0

This appears to be a bad pointer.  The address where this is occurring is not in a module currently loaded in memory and the SQLite dll is not loaded so I suspect it has something to do with that module or how you are calling it.

Jeff Sanders (MSFT)

@jsandersrocks - Windows Store Developer Solutions @WSDevSol
    Getting Started With Windows Azure Mobile Services development? Click here
    Getting Started With Windows Phone or Store app development? Click here
    My Team Blog: Windows Store & Phone Developer Solutions
    My Blog: Http Client Protocol Issues (and other fun stuff I support)

Wednesday, April 30, 2014 6:09 PM
  • Exactly the same thing happened to my application: at launch time I copy to local storage xml based db and some media resources. I do this in OnNavigatedTo handler. What is strange that Windows certification Kit passes the application fine on both mine and microsoft side (at technical compliance stage) and Certification Kit test DOES launch application and launches it successfully. After making some investigation in google i found that this kind of error (8007005 AccessDenied) happens on computers which have some  permissions settings problems (like here http://superuser.com/questions/483548/getting-0x8007005-when-installing-any-metro-app-from-app-store-after), so I am almost sure that problem is with the tester's pc  (This explains why  PKZ had succeeded after submitting his application 3 times without changing any code, he just happened to get a tester with pc with fine settings)

Agenor, tell me please if and how your issue was solved,

Tuesday, September 02, 2014 9:32 PM