How do I use "Add Service Reference..." with 5.x if I'm using NuGet? RRS feed

• Question

• I am using WCF Data Services Client 5.0.1 via NuGet to access an OData v3 service (also running on 5.0.1).  When I tried to use "Add Service Reference..." in Visual Studio 2010 for my client project, it used an old DataSvcUtil.exe and threw an exception stating the that the service version "3.0" is invalid.  After some searching, I read that the DataSvcUtil.exe is not updated when using NuGet and that you must install WCF Data Services 5.0 via the MSI to update Visual Studio's "Add Service Reference..." tool.  I did this and it worked.

My question is, if someone is using only NuGet, how do they get the updated DataSvcUtil.exe for WCF Data Services Client 5.0.1?  And if it is possible to get, how would I update Visual Studio to use it (or would it have to be run manually)?

Thanks,
    Mike

Monday, August 6, 2012 5:45 PM

Answers

• The nuget is a way to ship run time binaries - in order to install tools, you need to install the msi so that we can update the register keys and drop our tools assemblies in the disk for "Add Service Reference" to work. Moving forward, we will ship tools only installer which will install the tools in the machine and does not GAC any assemblies. When you do "Add Service Reference", it will automatically add the Nuget packages to the project, that one can right click and update.

Does that make sense?

Thanks

Pratik

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

• Marked as answer by ruttopia Tuesday, August 7, 2012 1:26 PM
    Monday, August 6, 2012 10:56 PM

All replies

• The nuget is a way to ship run time binaries - in order to install tools, you need to install the msi so that we can update the register keys and drop our tools assemblies in the disk for "Add Service Reference" to work. Moving forward, we will ship tools only installer which will install the tools in the machine and does not GAC any assemblies. When you do "Add Service Reference", it will automatically add the Nuget packages to the project, that one can right click and update.

Does that make sense?

Thanks

Pratik

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

• Marked as answer by ruttopia Tuesday, August 7, 2012 1:26 PM
    Monday, August 6, 2012 10:56 PM
  • Yep - thanks for the quick response!

Mike

Tuesday, August 7, 2012 1:27 PM