none
How to make "Name" column in Document Set optional and hidden

Question

• Hi there,

Is it possible to make the "Name" column optional and hidden on a Document Set?  I still require the Name column (which is populated in a workflow) but I do not want the user to have to enter anything to be able to save the Document Set.

If I click through the Document Set settings right up to the parent - Name is greyed out.  Can it be done with PowerShell maybe?

Monday, February 13, 2017 1:12 AM

All replies

• Or - can I set a default value in this field?  I have tried using SharePoint Manager but am not having much luck...

Tuesday, February 14, 2017 4:37 AM
  • kelsnz,

a Name is an identity of the ds, if users can't name it when provisioning(yes, it might save a bit of time), how can users know which one should they choose to work with when they face with a bunch of ds in a library?

or try add some javascript in the NewDocSet.aspx page to supply the Name value in the field dynamically.

Tuesday, February 14, 2017 7:36 AM
  • Hi kelsnz,

Per my test, when I create a document set, if I don’t write a name to the document set, I got an error that value cannot be null.

Why are you want to hide the name column?

To make "Name" column in Document Set optional or hidden, you can type the URL in address bar to enter the edit page of “Name” column. Follow the steps to obtain the URL:

1. Enabled "Allow management of content types" in advanced settings.
    2. Click the “Document set” under content types section and click “Title” column behind Columns section.
    3. Copy the URL and change the “Field=Title” to “Field=Name” and change “Fid=XXX” to “Fid=8553196d%2Dec8d%2D4564%2D9861%2D3dbe931050c8”

The URL type like http://sp/sites/test/_layouts/15/ManageContentTypeField.aspx?ctype=0x0120D5200080B2AD089739F640B4BCCC7110D7448F&List=1cf02c61-5920-4d83-9927-660e40dbeca4&Field=Name&Fid=8553196d%2Dec8d%2D4564%2D9861%2D3dbe931050c8

4. Type this URL to address bar and the Name column is editable.

But as I have said that we can’t create a document set without a name.

Best regards,

Grace Wang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Tuesday, February 14, 2017 8:24 AM
  • Apologies - I should have provided a bit more detail. The reason I don't need the field to be available is because a workflow runs upon creation and it sets the Name column. So I would be happy to have a default value in there as it will be overwritten. Is that possible?
    Tuesday, February 14, 2017 9:53 AM
  • Hi kelsnz,

According to your description, I recommend you hiding the “Name” column follow the steps I provided in the previous post, and creating a new document set with PowerShell cmdlet:

$url = "http://sharepointsite"
    $listTitle = "documentlibraryname"

$web = Get-SPWeb $url;
    $list = $web.Lists[$listTitle]
    $docSetContentType = $list.ContentTypes["Document Set"]
    [Hashtable]$docSetProperties = @{}
    $docSetName = "docsetname"
    $docSet = [Microsoft.Office.DocumentManagement.DocumentSets.DocumentSet]::Create($list.RootFolder,$docSetName,$docSetContentType.Id, $docSetProperties)
    $web.Dispose()

When you create workflow you could use “update List item” action:

Best regards,

Grace Wang

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Wednesday, February 15, 2017 10:48 AM
  • Hi Grace,

Thank you for your post.  The use of PowerShell is not really an option for my users. 

Is it possible to set a default value on the "Name" column?

Monday, February 20, 2017 10:52 PM
  • Hi, I have this problem too, did you find any resolutions or work arounds?

kegan1

Monday, March 13, 2017 10:33 AM
  • Hi kelsnz,

Per my knowledge, we cannot set a default value for Name column.

As an alternative, I suggest creating a new list definition, here is an article about how to create a custom list definition, you can check in:

https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/office/ms460922.aspx

Best regards,

Grace Wang

Tuesday, March 14, 2017 10:03 AM