WebBrowser control not supporting button click (Click event handled by JavaScript) RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I added a WebBrowser control to a form and loading a web page for users to log in. There are 2 buttons in the page and the click event is handled by following JavaScript:

function postOk()
            {
                document.forms[0]['pf.ok'].value = 'clicked';
                document.forms[0].submit();
            }

function postCancel()
            {
                document.forms[0]['pf.cancel'].value = 'clicked';
            }

function postOnReturn(e)
            {
                var keycode;
                if (window.event) keycode = window.event.keyCode;
                else if (e) keycode = e.which;
                else return true;

if (keycode == 13)
                {
                    return false;
                }
                else
                    return true;
             }

My application uses .NET 4. The problem is, when I load the web page, even if the users click the buttons, nothing happens (page doesn't navigate). But interestingly, hitting "Enter" key works as expected.

I found that WebBrowser control by default points to IE7 format and hence I made the registry change to include my application entry in FEATURE_BROWSER_EMULATION (under HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main\FeatureControl\FEATURE_BROWSER_EMULATION) and set the value to point to IE9. Now only the double click on the buttons causes the page to navigate. I am not understanding why this behavior is observed. Any solution to this problem?

Thanks in advance.

Thanks Prasad

• Edited by Prasad U S Tuesday, May 5, 2015 7:58 AM
    Tuesday, May 5, 2015 7:56 AM

Answers

• I found out the problem and the solution. The code for buttons is as follows:

<a href="javascript:void(0)" onclick="postOk();" class="button normal allow" title="Sign On">Sign On</a>
    <a href="javascript:void(0)" onclick="postCancel();" class="button blue deny" title="Cancel">Cancel</a>

The above anchors contained href to JavaScript which is not supported by IE7+ (for WebBrowser control) as Microsoft considers it as a threat (as explained here). So nothing happens for the button clicks. To solve this problem, we need to add the following registry key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE (or HKEY_CURRENT_USER)\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main\FeatureControl\FEATURE_SCRIPTURL_MITIGATION\yourapplication.exe = 0x00000001 (DWORD)

By default, this is enabled for IE, so to make it available to WebBrowser control, we need the above registry.

Thanks Prasad

• Proposed as answer by Armin Zingler Wednesday, May 6, 2015 10:57 AM
    • Marked as answer by Youjun Tang Thursday, May 14, 2015 3:31 AM
    Wednesday, May 6, 2015 10:02 AM

All replies

• First try what the result is when using IE of your computer. The webbrowser is a reuse of that.

Maybe you found an old message from the time IE7 was the latest.

Success
    Cor

Tuesday, May 5, 2015 8:46 AM
  • Hi Cor,

Thanks for the reply.

I tried the same URL on IE9 and it works fine and also my test machine has IE9 on it. I found the info on registry entry change from here:

StackOverflow - Regarding IE9 WebBrowser control

CodeProject - Configuring the emulation mode of an Internet Explorer WebBrowser control

Make the WebBrowser Control give you the installed IE version rendering

Thanks Prasad

• Edited by Prasad U S Tuesday, May 5, 2015 12:57 PM
    Tuesday, May 5, 2015 12:49 PM
  • I found out the problem and the solution. The code for buttons is as follows:

<a href="javascript:void(0)" onclick="postOk();" class="button normal allow" title="Sign On">Sign On</a>
    <a href="javascript:void(0)" onclick="postCancel();" class="button blue deny" title="Cancel">Cancel</a>

The above anchors contained href to JavaScript which is not supported by IE7+ (for WebBrowser control) as Microsoft considers it as a threat (as explained here). So nothing happens for the button clicks. To solve this problem, we need to add the following registry key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE (or HKEY_CURRENT_USER)\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main\FeatureControl\FEATURE_SCRIPTURL_MITIGATION\yourapplication.exe = 0x00000001 (DWORD)

By default, this is enabled for IE, so to make it available to WebBrowser control, we need the above registry.

Thanks Prasad

• Proposed as answer by Armin Zingler Wednesday, May 6, 2015 10:57 AM
    • Marked as answer by Youjun Tang Thursday, May 14, 2015 3:31 AM
    Wednesday, May 6, 2015 10:02 AM