none
Installing .Net 4.0 Client Profile Reference Framework on newer machines RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I've been trying for about a week to install .NET Framework 4.0 Client Profile Reference Framework on a build server.  I've tried with both Windows Server 2016 and Windows 10.

Specifically, I'm trying to install the frameworks at C:\Program Files (x86)\Reference Assemblies\Microsoft\Framework\v4.0

Several questions:

* Which .NET SDK/Multi-Target/Developer Pack installer actually installs these items?  I tried Microsoft .NET Framework 4 Client Profile, but it wouldn't install due to an already installed Microsoft .NET Framework 4.5.1 Developer Pack.  

* It seems to me that one should be able to develop against previous .NET versions.  Why can't I install this?  I've not been able to find another way to potentially install .NET 4.0 Client Profile.

thanks!

wes

Friday, April 7, 2017 5:25 PM

All replies

• Hi wes,

Thank you for posting in MSDN forum.

>>Which .NET SDK/Multi-Target/Developer Pack installer actually installs these items?

For .Net 4.0 Client Profile, you could directly download from:

https://www.microsoft.com/en-sg/download/details.aspx?id=24872

>>but it wouldn't install due to an already installed Microsoft .NET Framework 4.5.1 Developer Pack.  

As we know, the Microsoft .NET Framework 4.5.1 is a highly compatible, in-place update to the Microsoft .NET Framework 4, if the .Net 4.5.1 is existed on your machine, the forward version couldn't be installed. You could have a try with uninstalling the .Net 4.5.1 developer pack first, then installing .Net 4.0 Client Profile.

Best Regards,

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Monday, April 10, 2017 6:17 AM
  • Hi wes,

Does your issue is solved or not? If not, please feel free to let me know.

I tried to install the .NET Framework 4.0 Client Profile on Windows 10 and get the following error message:

Microsoft .NET Framework 4 is already a part of this operating system.  You do not need to install the .NET Framework 4 redistributable.

Same or higher version of .NET Framework 4 Client Profile has already been installed on this computer.

The above error message looks reasonable, please check Microsoft .NET Framework 4 Client Profile (Web Installer) and have a look at the Quick Details, it describes “Application developers who require features that are not included in the Client Profile should target the full .NET Framework 4 instead of the Client Profile.” which means the client profile is part of the full .NET Framework.

Since your OS is Windows 10 or Windows Server 2016, a higher .NET Framework 4.6 or 4.6.1, 4.6.2 are shipped with the OS, you do not need to install, please check .NET Framework Versions and Dependencies.

Like Lana said, the higher .NET Framework is an in-place update that replaces the .NET Framework 4 on your computer, in other word, the .NET Framework 4.0, 4.5, 4.5.1 or 4.5.2 already installed on your OS that is the reason why you cannot have installed the .NET Framework 4.0 Client Profile, since you already have it.

Best regards,

Sara

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, April 19, 2017 9:17 AM