locked
New form item fields translation problem RRS feed

  • Question

  • Good morning,

    please, I have a little problem with new / edit / display form of my custom list. What's happened :

    - I deleted in SP designer default NewForm.aspx, EditForm.aspx and DispForm.aspx pages for my custom list SONGS

    - then I created in SP designer new default forms for all the operations above : NewForm2, EditForm2, DispForm2

    BUT:

    - newly created forms doesn't accept culture switching - I switch from default (English) to localize (Slovak), but all fields columns are in English.

    - newly created forms doesn't accept structure changing - I add new column "votes" to my custom list, but no automatic effect in these forms.

    - I have no addition c# code / html / javascript / design changes in my forms; I just click in SP desigenr for create them,

    Where I made a mistake, please ?

    Thank you

    Marian


    Marian

    Tuesday, June 5, 2012 8:09 AM

Answers

  • Hello Marian,

    The behavior is by design. Out of Box supporting files use ListFormWebPart, it populate fields in form dynamically at run time according to list settings.

    Custom supporting files use DataFormWebPart, it is less dynamic, the fields are defined with XSLT templates inside the DataFormWebPart. If you modify the fields after, they have to been manually added to the DataFormWebPart.

    You may recover OOB support files by creating another dummy list based on the same list template and copying the supporting files over to the problem list.


    Regards,

    Jing Wang | Microsoft Online Community Support


    Friday, June 22, 2012 3:20 PM
  • Hi Marian,

    I apologize for late reply. I meant to grab the supporting files - NewForm.aspx, EditForm.aspx and DispForm.aspx pages from a New Dummy list based on same template. You just cut the files from the Dummy list and pasted into the broken list within SharePoint Designer. You will need to use code view to update the list GUIDs in the supporting files accordingly.
    Also, you need to modify the web part ID for the DataFormWebPart inside manually, just change one digit of the GUID to another letter and save the change.
    If you were just testing customizing custom supporting files, no worries about my suggestions. You did nothing wrong, the behavior of custom supporting files is by design.

    Regards,

    Jing Wang

    • Marked as answer by Marian__ Tuesday, July 17, 2012 1:47 PM
    Friday, July 13, 2012 5:19 AM

All replies

  • Hi Marian,

    Thank you for your question.
    I am trying to involve someone familiar with this topic to further look at this issue.

    Thanks,
    Lhan Han
    Monday, June 11, 2012 8:56 AM
    Moderator
  • Hi Lhan

    thank you for interest, I'll wait for your response.

    Marian


    Marian

    Tuesday, June 12, 2012 6:28 AM
  • Good afternoon,

    something new with problem above ?

    Thanks a lot.


    Marian

    Monday, June 18, 2012 1:19 PM
  • Hello Marian,

    The behavior is by design. Out of Box supporting files use ListFormWebPart, it populate fields in form dynamically at run time according to list settings.

    Custom supporting files use DataFormWebPart, it is less dynamic, the fields are defined with XSLT templates inside the DataFormWebPart. If you modify the fields after, they have to been manually added to the DataFormWebPart.

    You may recover OOB support files by creating another dummy list based on the same list template and copying the supporting files over to the problem list.


    Regards,

    Jing Wang | Microsoft Online Community Support


    Friday, June 22, 2012 3:20 PM
  • Hi Jing,

    thanks a lot for your answer; please can you shortly describe, how to do : "....and copying the supporting files over to the problem list"  ?

    Thank you,

    Marian


    Marian

    Monday, June 25, 2012 6:25 AM
  • Hi Marian,

    I apologize for late reply. I meant to grab the supporting files - NewForm.aspx, EditForm.aspx and DispForm.aspx pages from a New Dummy list based on same template. You just cut the files from the Dummy list and pasted into the broken list within SharePoint Designer. You will need to use code view to update the list GUIDs in the supporting files accordingly.
    Also, you need to modify the web part ID for the DataFormWebPart inside manually, just change one digit of the GUID to another letter and save the change.
    If you were just testing customizing custom supporting files, no worries about my suggestions. You did nothing wrong, the behavior of custom supporting files is by design.

    Regards,

    Jing Wang

    • Marked as answer by Marian__ Tuesday, July 17, 2012 1:47 PM
    Friday, July 13, 2012 5:19 AM
  • Hi Jing,

    don't worry for being late - I am very glad for your answer. So I tried to do some "code direct copying". I found I thing, hope will be usefull for others:

    - It's not good idea to create another dummy list from corrupted list template. Because all forms in new dummy list seems to be corrupted too :(

    - Better way is to take a code from any "good generic list forms" (Display, New, Edit) and replace ListID and follow your suggestion in your prevoius post.

    ( SP designer will warn you about saving code in advanced mode directly. )

    Thank you once more, everything work well now.

    Marian


    Marian

    Tuesday, July 17, 2012 1:47 PM