none
Could not Open a Connection to SQL Server [53] RRS feed

• Question

• I tried to run a report in SSRS but when i execute the said report i got this error.

An error has occurred during report processing. (rsProcessingAborted)
    Query execution failed for dataset 'DataSet1'. (rsErrorExecutingCommand)
    Named Pipes Provider: Could not open a connection to SQL Server [53]. 

This was running perfectly before but after we installed a windows patch on to the DB Sever (that is running on windows server 2018R2 with SQL2018) everything went down so i decided to roll back all installed updates on that day and after the roll back was successful the SSRS is back online but this error above pops out. Can someone enlighten me on what is happening here.

Any suggestions is much appreciated.

Thank you and more power to you guys,

Tuesday, June 11, 2019 6:13 AM

All replies

• There is no Windows Server 2018, nor any SQL 2018. Could you clarify the version?

The error indicates that the server cannot be reached. Have you checked that is is running?

Erland Sommarskog, SQL Server MVP, esquel@sommarskog.se

Tuesday, June 11, 2019 9:00 PM
  • There is no Windows Server 2018, nor any SQL 2018. Could you clarify the version? - sorry for the confusion what i meant is i have a virtual server on a Windows 2008R2 OS and installed with Microsoft SQL 2008 Server Management Studio.

The error indicates that the server cannot be reached. Have you checked that is is running? - yes SQL services are running and the TCP/IP is enabled.

Friday, June 14, 2019 3:08 AM