none
SharePoint Search Questions RRS feed

• Question

• I'm running SharePoint 2013 EnterPrice on a 3 tier farm up to the June patch level. If I pause Search, once I try to start it again it won't start.

Now, before I pause it I check in "Services on Server" and the "SharePoint Search Host Controller" the service is stopped, yet Search seems to be working fine. Also the "SharePoint Search Service" is stopped. In my farms Search is (or should be) running in my "CA or Application" server.

My question is: Shouldn't the SharePoint Search Host Controller and The SharePoint Search Service show as "Running" in central administration or not necessarily? I mean search is working, but the services don't show as running in my Central Admin, but if I go to the "services on server" in that same server the previously mentioned services are running and the "Search Service Application" show as running as well.

I'm fixing to start debugging but though I asked.

Thank yoU!

OT

Thursday, July 18, 2019 9:43 PM

Answers

• Hi Oliver, 

The SharePoint Search Host Controller and The SharePoint Search Service should show as "Running" in central administration.

Starting Search related service is to make search functionality work. Search Host Controller service manages the search components, without search components running, starting these services will not make search functionality work.

Reference:

https://thuansoldier.net/4467/

SharePoint 2013: search host controller services stuck in "starting" state for your reference:

https://www.axian.com/2014/05/07/sharepoint-2013-search-host-controller-service-stuck-in-starting-state/

Best Regards, 

Lisa Chen 

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

SharePoint Server 2019 has been released, you can click here to download it.
    Click here to learn new features. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about SharePoint Server 2019.

Friday, July 19, 2019 11:23 AM
  • Thank you all for your help that guided me to the fix. Here is what I did in case it is beneficial to someone else:

1. Stopped the service app via Central Administration > Service Applications > Search Service Application > Pause/Resume 
    2. Checked and the "Search Host Controller Service"  was running on the WFE and in our farm it should only be running on the CA or Application Server
    3. Stopped the "Search Host Controller Service" on the Web Front End using the command below;
    $SA = Get-SPServiceInstance | Where {$_.Status -like “Provisioning”}
    $SA.Unprovision()
     $SA.Provision()
    4. In the Application (aka Central Admin) server, I stopped the Search Host Controller and SharePoint search server services (the little windows gear under "Administrative tools" in windows, not Central Admin)
    5. Restarted the farm (Both servers CA and WFE)
    6. In the Application(aka Central Admin) server, I Restarted the Search Host Controller and SharePoint search server services (the little windows gear under "Administrative tools" in windows, not Central Admin)
    7. Checked the services in central admin, services are still stopped in both servers. I think this is the reason why the service application won't come out of "Pause"
    8. In the Application Server (aka Central Admin Server) I started the "SharePoint Server Search" service with the command below:

# Add SPSnapin
    Add-PSSnapin microsoft.sharepoint.powershell

# Start Search Service
    $hostname = hostname
    Get-SPServiceInstance -Server $hostname  | where-object {$_.TypeName -eq "SharePoint Server Search" } | Start-SPServiceInstance -Confirm:$false 

# Check for services that are provisioning
    Get-SPServiceInstance | Where {$_.Status -like “Provisioning”}

# Finish provisioning services
    $SA.Unprovision()
    $SA.Provision()

9. Started the "Search Host Controller Service" on the App Server Via Central Admin > Services on Server > Start

10. Went to the Search Service Application page, and clicked "Resume Search Service App"

11. It worked!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hope this helps someone else.

OT

• Marked as answer by Oliver_Tech Tuesday, July 23, 2019 7:49 PM
    • Edited by Oliver_Tech Tuesday, July 23, 2019 7:53 PM
    Tuesday, July 23, 2019 7:48 PM

All replies

• Not Necessarily, Your Search is working fine because the Search Service instances & Components might be running on other Application or Search server. If Previously it was running might be because someone have started the Service in CA to improve the search performance. those service might have stopped due to Patching or someone might have stopped.

Are you stating - Central Administration as a Server ? or In general

Thanks & Regards,

sharath aluri

Friday, July 19, 2019 2:03 AM
  • Hi Oliver, 

The SharePoint Search Host Controller and The SharePoint Search Service should show as "Running" in central administration.

Starting Search related service is to make search functionality work. Search Host Controller service manages the search components, without search components running, starting these services will not make search functionality work.

Reference:

https://thuansoldier.net/4467/

SharePoint 2013: search host controller services stuck in "starting" state for your reference:

https://www.axian.com/2014/05/07/sharepoint-2013-search-host-controller-service-stuck-in-starting-state/

Best Regards, 

Lisa Chen 

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

SharePoint Server 2019 has been released, you can click here to download it.
    Click here to learn new features. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about SharePoint Server 2019.

Friday, July 19, 2019 11:23 AM
  • Hi,

You Have to Check Crawling is working fine or new as new items was crawled this mean search service working fine 

Nour

Saturday, July 20, 2019 12:27 AM
  • Thank you all for your help that guided me to the fix. Here is what I did in case it is beneficial to someone else:

1. Stopped the service app via Central Administration > Service Applications > Search Service Application > Pause/Resume 
    2. Checked and the "Search Host Controller Service"  was running on the WFE and in our farm it should only be running on the CA or Application Server
    3. Stopped the "Search Host Controller Service" on the Web Front End using the command below;
    $SA.Unprovision()
     $SA.Provision()
    4. In the Application (aka Central Admin) server, I stopped the Search Host Controller and SharePoint search server services (the little windows gear under "Administrative tools" in windows, not Central Admin)
    5. Restarted the farm (Both servers CA and WFE)
    6. In the Application(aka Central Admin) server, I Restarted the Search Host Controller and SharePoint search server services (the little windows gear under "Administrative tools" in windows, not Central Admin)
    7. Checked the services in central admin, services are still stopped in both servers. I think this is the reason why the service application won't come out of "Pause"
    8. In the Application Server (aka Central Admin Server) I started the "SharePoint Server Search" service with the command below:

# Add SPSnapin
    Add-PSSnapin microsoft.sharepoint.powershell

# Start Search Service
    $hostname = hostname
    Get-SPServiceInstance -Server $hostname  | where-object {$_.TypeName -eq "SharePoint Server Search" } | Start-SPServiceInstance -Confirm:$false 

# Check for services that are provisioning
    Get-SPServiceInstance | Where {$_.Status -like “Provisioning”}

# Finish provisioning services
    $SA.Unprovision()
    $SA.Provision()

9. Started the "Search Host Controller Service" on the App Server Via Central Admin > Services on Server > Start

10. Went to the Search Service Application page, and clicked "Resume Search Service App"

11. It worked!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hope this helps someone else.

OT

• Marked as answer by Oliver_Tech Tuesday, July 23, 2019 7:49 PM
    • Edited by Oliver_Tech Tuesday, July 23, 2019 7:53 PM
    Tuesday, July 23, 2019 7:48 PM