none
Application Insight Analytics on long time-period RRS feed

• Question

• I know that Application Insights store data for only some period of time.

What do I need to do if I want to do analysis on a long time-period, let's say a year?

I know we have continuous export thing and as suggested, we can use power BI on the stored data in BLOBs. Another way is code and transform that JSON data in BLOBs to some excel representations.

Is there any other way apart from these two for doing analysis in long time-periods of AI data?

Thursday, June 13, 2019 4:19 PM

All replies

• Hello Rohit,

Thanks for reaching out!

Yes, you're right. Data retention in Azure Application Insights varies according to the feature in question. The two options you mentioned above are explained in detail in this blog, and in our official docs as well.

While I dig further on other available alternatives, please do note that the easiest way to analyze your application data would be to use the out of the box Analytics feature, which is the powerful search and query tool of Application Insights. Analytics is a web tool so no setup is required. If you've already configured Application Insights for one of your apps then you can analyze your app's data by opening Analytics from your app's overview blade.

While it is known that Log Analytics automatically scopes results by the time range and number of records in the resultset, be aware that variable retention for Application Insights is in Preview now, which means that you can now set the desired retention duration for each of your Application Insights resources. The pricing for this will follow the same Azure Monitor log data retention pricing as used by Log Analytics. Learn more here. Please follow the instructions within the Team's response to onboard to the private preview.

Hope this helps!

Monday, June 17, 2019 3:19 PM
  • Hello Rohit,

Have you had a chance to check if any of the above options help? Please let us know otherwise and we'll be happy to assist you!

Monday, June 24, 2019 5:20 AM
  • Hello Rohit,

Let us know if there is anything else related to this thread that we can assist you with, else please feel free to mark and close this out if any of the above options have been of help! Thanks again for reaching out!

Monday, July 1, 2019 6:41 AM