none
Get the Processor / Bios MAC using C# RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I would like to get a unique ID from my computer but I am not sure if the network MAC is a good idea because many people change network cards, similarly with he hard disk so I thought if possible to get the Processor / Bios MAC address?

Is this possible? How please?

Thanks,

Jassim

Sunday, December 14, 2014 3:21 PM

Answers

• You can use Windows Management Instrumentation (WMI) to get that kind of information about the BIOS, CPUs and network cards. 

Be aware that there is no completely reliable way to come up with a unique ID for a computer that will remain the same when the owner replaces a component. At one time (and perhaps even now), Microsoft used a combination of several components to come up with an ID for licensing purposes. If just one or two components changed, they would still assume that it is the same PC, but if most of the components changed, the user had to call Microsoft to explain that the PC had been rebuilt. That meant that Microsoft needed a 24 hour help desk to take those calls. Unless you have such a help desk, you may end up with very unhappy users.

Sunday, December 14, 2014 4:34 PM

All replies

• You can use Windows Management Instrumentation (WMI) to get that kind of information about the BIOS, CPUs and network cards. 

Be aware that there is no completely reliable way to come up with a unique ID for a computer that will remain the same when the owner replaces a component. At one time (and perhaps even now), Microsoft used a combination of several components to come up with an ID for licensing purposes. If just one or two components changed, they would still assume that it is the same PC, but if most of the components changed, the user had to call Microsoft to explain that the PC had been rebuilt. That meant that Microsoft needed a 24 hour help desk to take those calls. Unless you have such a help desk, you may end up with very unhappy users.

Sunday, December 14, 2014 4:34 PM
  • Not to mention that things like CPUID can be disabled by user or faked if run under a VM.

And for activation servers (I assume it's where it goes for this question), people have demonstrated how easy they can build a fake one and use it. That's probably not a effective measure too.

IMO, I wish people could stop punish paying users and push those users to superior product (pirated copies that without hurdles of getting the activation works). Should you decide to implement that, please make sure it don't get into the way of your legitimate users or you're shooting yourself in the foot.

Monday, December 15, 2014 2:36 AM
    Answerer
  • Then I guess taking the CPU serial would be the most reliable but of course not 100% secure (because as cheong00 said people are crazy about hacking!)

I would like to ask how can I convert the CPU Serial into alphanumeric code similar to the Product Key after adding some numbers to it or encrypt it?

Monday, December 15, 2014 7:52 AM
  • After using the code in this page to get ProcessorId, you will get 16 digit hexadecimal number string that you can feel free to play with.
    Tuesday, December 16, 2014 12:58 AM
    Answerer