none
Strange behavior with V9.5 IBM DB2 Data (Client and VS2008 add-in) RRS feed

• Question

• I'm working with a client that has v8.x DB2 database and I've installed the v9.5 Client and VS2008 v9.5 add-in. All the classes appear to be there, however when I try to connect it comes up with the Universal driver (not the App driver).  I can use my login/password and the test connection works.  However, when I try to save the connection I get an error telling me to start the data base. I installed SQuirreL and had a major problem getting connectivity using the Universal Driver but the App driver works.

Has anyone else had this probem?  If so, how did you solve it?  I've tried the Data Entity wizard and it doesn't even show the Provider. (I think this is a separate problem, however).

Oh ... if I got to VS2003 it has the App Driver and data connection works, showing all tables, views ... etc.  Unfortunagely, as far as I know, the v.9x is the only client/add-in that works with 2008.

Anyway I can 'install' the app driver in 2003 into 2008?

Thanks for all your help

Don

Developer
    Sunday, February 8, 2009 11:43 PM

Answers

• Hi Don

Some databases might not allow usage of mismatched driver/database versions.

Have you tried to try the same with v9.X DB2 database? Or, have you tried using V8 client tools/add-ins?

I recommend posting this question on DB2 forums.

Regards,
     Nissim
    Postings are provided "As Is" with no warranties and confer no rights.
    Friday, April 3, 2009 11:26 PM

All replies

• Hi Don

Some databases might not allow usage of mismatched driver/database versions.

Have you tried to try the same with v9.X DB2 database? Or, have you tried using V8 client tools/add-ins?

I recommend posting this question on DB2 forums.

Regards,
     Nissim
    Postings are provided "As Is" with no warranties and confer no rights.
    Friday, April 3, 2009 11:26 PM
  • Nissim,

Thanks for the response.  I basically have given up on IBM and DB2. They would like to have  you believe it is a 'standard' data base product but it isn't. There are not that many installation nor people with experience. As you can tell, I've become very frustrated.  The contract is with the gov't, running v8 on server and they are not about to upgrade to v9x, which is what IBM recommended. But you are correct, it is a problem with the various versions of the drivers.

The upshot is that I'm having to write all classes and procedures manually, which on the upside I've learned more about the MVC framework and 3.5.

Again, thanks for your response.

Don
    Developer
    Saturday, April 4, 2009 2:14 PM