none
Will the Express version of Visual Studio work with a licensed full version of Team Foundation Server?

Question

• We are about to receive a large project to maintain with well over a million lines of code. We want to use a licensed copy of Team Foundation Server, but continue using Visual Studio Express. We do not want to be locked in to a paid version of Visual Studio and want to continue updating to the latest version as it becomes available. Are there any issues with this approach?
    Monday, January 23, 2017 7:42 PM

Answers

• You can use them side by side, however be aware that Visual Studio Express is succeeded by the community editions which are in fact completely the same (although there is a limit how much resulting programs you may sell and more of that)

Success
    Cor

• Marked as answer by dmcdivitt Monday, January 23, 2017 9:06 PM
    Monday, January 23, 2017 7:44 PM

All replies

• You can use them side by side, however be aware that Visual Studio Express is succeeded by the community editions which are in fact completely the same (although there is a limit how much resulting programs you may sell and more of that)

Success
    Cor

• Marked as answer by dmcdivitt Monday, January 23, 2017 9:06 PM
    Monday, January 23, 2017 7:44 PM
  • When you say "side by side", do you mean free and paid versions of Visual Studio? We do not want to do that, but only want Express, so we can continue updating without purchasing a new license each time.

Hopefully you mean Visual Studio Express alongside a licensed Team Foundation Server.

There should be no issue maintaining a huge project.

I have been opening my projects with Community rather than Basic, C#, or ASP.Net directly, and have no problem. I am sure I can keep doing that.

• Edited by dmcdivitt Monday, January 23, 2017 7:51 PM
    Monday, January 23, 2017 7:51 PM