none
Design a GANTT with just baseline + % work complete RRS feed

• Question

• LS

we are implementing Project Server 2007 using the 'My Tasks' page for staff to update tasks progress + hours spent.

In our company we like to communicate with GANTT reports to our customer projects, displaying the agreed baseline + the % complete on the individual tasks.

We leave out the 'Actuals' information (actual start, actual duration, actual finish etc) except for the % work complete on the individual tasks.

Is there a way that we can build a GANTT like that in Project Server 2007.

--- Texas Tonie

Tuesday, January 4, 2011 3:26 PM

Answers

• Thanks Jack, Sunil - I did go back and realized I can un-check 'Show bar splits' under layout in the Gantt area.

that cleans up my Gantt considerably as desired.

--- TT

btw I am using SRS Reporting to create a weekly report with a Gantt slotted in.

• Marked as answer by Texas Tonie Wednesday, January 5, 2011 11:25 PM
    Wednesday, January 5, 2011 11:23 PM

All replies

• Percent complete can be shown as a column, but it is not something that can be shown accurately on the gantt chart against the baseline bar. This is because the baseline bar may not align with the actual so the bar showing actual progress will not point to the correct point in the baseline bar.

Jack Dahlgren blogs at:
    Project and Retrovention
    and rarely Twitter
    Tuesday, January 4, 2011 6:40 PM
  • A little more detail would help, as you said, "Communicate with Gantt Reports to Customer", so when you say reports
    what kind of report, or better what medium are you looking as there are several ways how you can formulate to communicate with your customer, it could be a custom Gantt Chart from MS Project, it could be a MS Project visual report, it could be an automated SSRS report 

Depends which / how you want to communicate, let me know if i am missing something

Thanks | Sunil Kr Singh | http://epmxperts.wordpress.com
    Tuesday, January 4, 2011 6:51 PM
  • Thanks Jack - I know you're right - there was some wishful thinking on my side that the answer would be different:).

Is there a way to manipulate so that - using the % work complete number - the baseline bars get filled.

What we really want / need is a reporting GANTT that is sanitized for publication without the distracting overlay of when actual work did occur.

So it would show the actual start + completion of tasks and connect these two with a solid bar instead of an interrupted one.

--- TT

Wednesday, January 5, 2011 9:03 PM
  • Thanks Jack, Sunil - I did go back and realized I can un-check 'Show bar splits' under layout in the Gantt area.

that cleans up my Gantt considerably as desired.

--- TT

btw I am using SRS Reporting to create a weekly report with a Gantt slotted in.

• Marked as answer by Texas Tonie Wednesday, January 5, 2011 11:25 PM
    Wednesday, January 5, 2011 11:23 PM