ASP.NET Core Identity and EF Core RRS feed

• Question

• User206383436 posted

Hello,

I was told that ASP.NET Core (v2.2 in my case) Identity is based on EF Core by Microsoft design meaning that I have to install EF Core in my projects even though I do not use it for DB operations.

Is this true?

Best regards,
    Jorge Maldonado

Wednesday, July 31, 2019 2:25 PM

Answers

• User753101303 posted

Hi,

Is this a real problem ? It comes with a default EF core implementation which doesn't mean you have to use EF elsewhere. It is also a general purpose mechanism you could implement over other user stores and  you could write your own ADO.NET implementation if bringing an DF dependency is really such an issue.

• Marked as answer by Anonymous Thursday, October 7, 2021 12:00 AM
    Thursday, August 1, 2019 7:54 AM

All replies

• User475983607 posted

I was told that ASP.NET Core (v2.2 in my case) Identity is based on EF Core by Microsoft design meaning that I have to install EF Core in my projects even though I do not use it for DB operations.

Is this true?

I do not understand the question.

ASP.NET Core Identity uses a database to store user accounts. 

Wednesday, July 31, 2019 3:02 PM
  • User711641945 posted

Hi JORGEMAL,

meaning that I have to install EF Core in my projects even though I do not use it for DB operations.

Actually,If you use Identity to build your ASP.NET Core project,it would install the corresponding package and don't need to install it manually.

even though I do not use it for DB operations

You mean that you want to use other way instead of EF Core for Db operations?Or you don't want to do Db operation?

Best Regards,

Rena

Thursday, August 1, 2019 7:16 AM
  • User753101303 posted

Hi,

Is this a real problem ? It comes with a default EF core implementation which doesn't mean you have to use EF elsewhere. It is also a general purpose mechanism you could implement over other user stores and  you could write your own ADO.NET implementation if bringing an DF dependency is really such an issue.

• Marked as answer by Anonymous Thursday, October 7, 2021 12:00 AM
    Thursday, August 1, 2019 7:54 AM