Is there a tablet we can purchase that will support Windows 8 Preview?

General discussion

• Is there a tablet currently available that will support Windows 8 installation?  I’d like to develop for the tablet but was unable to attend the Build.

MCAD.NET C# - visit: http://www.Codeplex.com/CaskDotNet
    Friday, September 16, 2011 5:23 PM

All replies

• I have seen a variety of tablets that have been running Windows Developer Preview.  As long as the minimum specs are met, it should load.   

• 1 gigahertz (GHz) or faster 32-bit (x86) or 64-bit (x64) processor
  • 1 gigabyte (GB) RAM (32-bit) or 2 GB RAM (64-bit)
  • 16 GB available hard disk space (32-bit) or 20 GB (64-bit)
  • DirectX 9 graphics device with WDDM 1.0 or higher driver
  • Taking advantage of touch input requires a screen that supports multi-touch
  • To run Metro style Apps, you need a screen resolution of 1024 X 768 or greater

• Greg - Microsoft Support Engineer
Friday, September 16, 2011 5:46 PM
  • I am running Win8 Dev Preview on the Dell Inspiron Mini Duo. Works well.
    Friday, September 16, 2011 5:49 PM
  • I'm using acer w500..

Friday, September 16, 2011 10:30 PM
  • I use an HP DV6Z, though, anything with an x86 CPU and multitouch will work.
    Friday, September 16, 2011 10:34 PM
  • I am using Asus Eee Slate EP121. It loaded just fine and works well. One drawback I have found with this tablet is Snap does not work probably because the screen resolution of the tablet is too low? 1200x800  In any case I am enjoying the tablet more now with the Windows 8 Dev Preview on it than with the original Windows 7 install and so far all of my apps have loaded up fine on the new OS.
    Friday, September 16, 2011 10:43 PM
  • @Apexa:  I am running the Windows Developer Preview on a Dell Inspiron Duo also.  However, I am not able to use the accelerometer to do orientation switching.  When I turn my Duo on its side, I want it to switch to Portrait mode and then back to Landscape mode when I hold it in the normal position.  Have you gotten that to work?

Many thanks,

Jeremy

Sunday, September 18, 2011 3:51 PM
  • @ej2020: Were you been able to use the accelerometer to do orientation switching? Also when you use the home button on the tablet does it bring you back to the metro interface or to the desktop?
    Tuesday, September 20, 2011 8:36 PM
  • In addition to the informaton from other community members, you might want to look at the information from the following Blog.
    http://blogs.msdn.com/b/b8/archive/2011/09/13/experiencing-windows-8-touch-on-windows-7-hardware.aspx

If you scroll to the bottom, you will see a list of hardware and devices that the Windows Developer Preview team has used for testing purposes.

Hope this helps.

Marilyn

Tuesday, September 20, 2011 9:07 PM
  • Unfortunately, the "Samsung Windows Developer Preview" device is the only Windows 8 compatible Tablet with properly functioning accelerometer for screen orientation and app-level interactions.

When we have updates for supported hardware, I'll be posting them on the "Tailoring your Metro style app for hardware and devices" forum.

Thanks,Gavin

Wednesday, September 21, 2011 10:58 PM