Recovery of password-Import website RRS feed

• Question

• Recovery of password-Import website

I have not been to this site in several years now. What a mistake. My host let it evaporate. Now recovered but cannot get it back on local listings. My dilemma—I do not know or remember where or how to recover my user-name and password. I have lost my web presence and need it back. I would appreciate any help you could give.

Thanks,

Dave Powell

Sunday, August 7, 2016 3:14 AM

All replies

• Recovery of password-Import website

I have not been to this site in several years now. What a mistake. My host let it evaporate. Now recovered but cannot get it back on local listings. My dilemma—I do not know or remember where or how to recover my user-name and password. I have lost my web presence and need it back. I would appreciate any help you could give.

Thanks,
    Dave Powell

What do you mean by your "...host let it evaporate"? And what do you mean by "...get it back on local listings"? From the look of the graphic you posted (which is too small to be read), it appears that you might be trying to log in to your site using FrontPage Server Extensions (FPSE). Just guessing, since I haven't used the FPSE since 2000, and that looks like a Windows Security login dialog.

It does not look like an EW login dialog , at least, none that I recognize. If FTP is properly configured, you never see a login dialog. Not sure about WebDAV, so by default I'm guessing FPSE. So, by "...host let it evaporate" do you mean that they no longer support the extensions? If that's the case, you're not going to be able to log into the site that way ever again. Have you asked your tech support what your username is, and to reset your password?

You say "Now recovered..." Does that mean that you have a local copy of the site? If so, and you have created it as a site (by using either "Site|Open Site..." or "Site|New Site..."), you simply need to set up a publishing destination that points to the correct directory at your FTP address and you're in business.

Unfortunately, your post makes no sense whatsoever as written. Please restate it in terminology that makes sense in terms of standard Web development.

cheers,
    scott

Please remember to "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue. It is common courtesy to recognize those who have helped you, and it also makes it easier for visitors to find the resolution later.

Sunday, August 7, 2016 4:08 AM
  • You are showing the "import website" graphic. If you mean you are trying to get a new local copy of your site, you should be publishing it down, not importing it.   If you need your password, that is not an EW password (it has none), it is a server password.     You didn't specify how you publish your site. Whichever way, the old FrontPage Server Extensions, or FTP, you need to get the password yourself. We can't tell you. If you know your hosting account password, you can always create a new FTP account with a new password. If you don't know your hosting account password, you'll need to call your hosting company and hope you have sufficient information to convince them you own the account and are not a hacker trying to harm that site.

Kathleen Wilber
    BrightWillow - Asp.Net Applications

Sunday, August 7, 2016 5:59 AM
  • I'll be damned. That never occurred to me. In all the years I've used EW I have never used the Import dialog, so I had no idea what it looked like. Sumbitch! I guess it's true that you can learn something new every day, even about something you've used for years and thought yourself an expert in!  ;-)

cheers,
    scott

Please remember to "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue. It is common courtesy to recognize those who have helped you, and it also makes it easier for visitors to find the resolution later.

Sunday, August 7, 2016 6:29 AM
  • Well, the site is still there because I just viewed it.
    You need to contact your host and have them reset the password for you. and as mentioned then log in using ftp://bathtubmagic.com instead of http://

Expression Web MVP

Sunday, August 7, 2016 4:54 PM
  • OK, I give up—how did you find his Web site? I looked at every post, checked his profile, and even googled his name and forum username, no joy. Is it shown in that graphic that I find unreadable, or what? Inquiring minds want to know...  ;-)

cheers,
    scott

Sunday, August 7, 2016 9:14 PM
  • Scott, zoom the page, and look a the password request box. "The server www.bathtubmagic.com is asking for your user name...."

In spite of the image looking very unreadable at the normal text size, it zooms quite nicely to a very readable image.

Kathleen Wilber
    BrightWillow - Asp.Net Applications

Sunday, August 7, 2016 10:32 PM