none
How to fix this? An error occurred during certificate creation. Selfcert was unable to create your certificate. RRS feed

• Question

• I originally posted this in Microsoft Community but an admin there suggested I post it here.

Toward the end of August I used SelfCert to create a Digital Certificate for a VBA Script for Outlook.

Everything worked fine and I was able to use the certificate.

Recently, for no reason, it stopped working.  The certificate now has a red x on it.  When I try to run Selfcert I get this error;

"An error occurred during certificate creation. Selfcert was unable to create your certificate."

I've tried generating a certificate on another system, exporting it and importing it as well as generating a certificate from our server but when I do that, it cannot save the VBA project.  This error is produced;

"The vba project could not be signed. The signature will be discarded."

I have searched everywhere for this and I cannot believe there is not an answer to this.  I've seen numerous other work arounds that have nothing to do with fixing this problem.

I can generate certificates with Selfcert from other login profiles but not mine.  I've checked everything.  It has to be some permission issue somewhere is what I'm thinking.

Anyone?  Thanks.

• Moved by Quist ZhangModerator Friday, October 12, 2012 6:25 AM More appropriate (From:Visual Studio Tools for Office)
    Thursday, October 11, 2012 5:51 PM

Answers

All replies

• Hi GuitDed,

Thank you for posting in the MSDN Forum.

You can take a look at the page below to see whether it helps.
    http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/office/forum/office_2003-office_other/i-got-an-error-with-digital-certificate-for-vba/8d30f62d-3721-4d1a-832b-f9d40837741c?msgId=239cd14b-f286-44ec-bdf3-e2ee19db0080

Hope it helps.

Best regards,

Quist Zhang [MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us

Friday, October 12, 2012 6:33 AM
  • Quist Zhang: Thanks for taking the time to respond to GuitDed. They haven't written back, maybe their problem is fixed. (I hope.)

I have a similar problem.

I have frequently used SelfCert.exe to help me comply with reasonable security practices on my computers. Apparently, the certificate I was using expired a few days ago; it is time to establish another. Like GuitDed, SelfCert.exe reports "An error occurred during certificate creation. Selfcert was unable to create your certificate." So ... I can't create a certificate.

When I attempt to choose a certificate (for example, from Excel Visual Basic | Tools | Digital Signature | Sign As), the system does not display any certificates. So ... I can't use an existing certificate.

I looked at the URL in your note above. I did all that (or at least ... I'm pretty sure I did).

The advice made me think un-installing MS Office and re-installing might be effective, even if it proved overkill.

I un-installed. Rebooted. Installed. Used Windows Update. (Two cycles and 22 updates proved sufficient.) Rebooted. Tried SelfCert.exe; ...

Not overkill. Not effective. No change at all.

This laptop (Toshiba Satellite, Intel B940 processor) was new in Jan 2011 with Windows 7 (64). I installed MS Office 2007. It's been a good computer, operating system, and productivity suite for me. I don't know what caused this; I'm not aware of any other problems.

Tuesday, November 6, 2012 3:56 AM