none
How to add Drivers Manually RRS feed

• Question

• Hi, I'm fairly new to ICE and WES7, but think I'm coming along ok.

I've done my target analyzer and have my pmq file. It finds and loads everything except for the touch screen (pen mount) drivers.

The setup.exe for this pen mount driver will not work correctly if I just run it. I have to browse to the correct .inf to install the drivers. So question is how do I put those inf files somewhere where it can automatically detect and install them?

Thanks in advance...

Wednesday, October 12, 2011 3:35 PM

Answers

• pnputil.exe and dpinst.exe can help you.
    "Mark/Propose As Answer" if you got one.
    • Marked as answer by waparson Friday, October 14, 2011 4:08 PM
    Wednesday, October 12, 2011 3:59 PM
  • I have not used the create IBW build from answer file before, I use just a full DS and add different answer files to it allowing me to have just one UFD for all my configurations. I'm sure it pulls it all in like it is suppose to, you can check by opening the UFD and going to;

DS\$OEM$ Folders\Custom\$OEM$\$$\...

You'll need to create folders named $$ or $1 under your $OEM$ folder. The $OEM$ folder itself does not point to any folder in windows.

Full path for my wallpaper on UFD

%DRIVE%\DS\$OEM$ Folders\Custom\$OEM$\$$\Web\Wallpaper\

"Learning without thought is labor lost; Thought without learning is perilous." Confucius
    Thursday, October 13, 2011 3:14 PM

All replies

• pnputil.exe and dpinst.exe can help you.
    "Mark/Propose As Answer" if you got one.
    Wednesday, October 12, 2011 3:59 PM
  • You can add them to the $OEM$ Folder in the DS you are using. For a quick reference please see KNARZ's answer to the following thread... 

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en/quebeceefs/thread/89ab31b3-6eac-4c2e-9e34-f7f02d71e84f

Also as Sean says in the thread you can also find more information in the online help or the embedded help. See below for online help instructions.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ff794890.aspx

"Learning without thought is labor lost; Thought without learning is perilous." Confucius
    Wednesday, October 12, 2011 4:00 PM
  • This is typical for this driver. You could split out the driver into the out-of-box drivers folder, and keep the setup in the OEM folder. Running the setup should find the driver.

-Sean

www.sjjmicro.com / www.seanliming.com / www.annabooks.com, Book Author - ProGuide to WES 7, XP Embedded Advanced, WEPOS / POS for .NET Step-by-Step
    Wednesday, October 12, 2011 5:06 PM
  • This is typical for this driver. You could split out the driver into the out-of-box drivers folder, and keep the setup in the OEM folder. Running the setup should find the driver.

-Sean

www.sjjmicro.com / www.seanliming.com / www.annabooks.com, Book Author - ProGuide to WES 7, XP Embedded Advanced, WEPOS / POS for .NET Step-by-Step

ok that makes sense. but there are 4 different inf's and I know which one works. But with each one there is an .inf,.cat,.sys. So should I put the corresponding files in the folder?

Wednesday, October 12, 2011 6:57 PM
  • If they are delivered in individual folders, keep the folder structure as is, and put them all in the out-of-box drivers folder. PnP Manager will pick out the correct one during installation.

You could dig deeper using Device Manager on a fully installed system, but this process is a test.

-Sean

Wednesday, October 12, 2011 8:43 PM
  • If they are delivered in individual folders, keep the folder structure as is, and put them all in the out-of-box drivers folder. PnP Manager will pick out the correct one during installation.

You could dig deeper using Device Manager on a fully installed system, but this process is a test.

-Sean

thanks, just ordered your book as well....

going to need help creating that seperate answer file for the image install

Wednesday, October 12, 2011 8:44 PM
  • Similar process as creating an answer file in ICE, but you only setup the settings and other things needed to be preserved.

-Sean

Wednesday, October 12, 2011 8:47 PM
  • trying to put the setup and some logos in the OEM folder and its not carrying over to the target device.

I created the OEM folder under my DS on my development machine. Inserted the path into the answer file. Then inserted the paths to the logo and background to the appropriate places in the answer file. Tools -> create media -> create IBW build from answer file

Once installed on the target device, nothing from the OEM folder is there or configured correctly.

this is the oem folder path in the answer file....  %distributionshareroot%\$OEM$ Folders\custom\$OEM$

and then the logo and background files are in there.

Thursday, October 13, 2011 12:56 PM
  • Did you placed them on your distribution media as well? And did you name the folder's correctly? i.e. $$ or $1)

I have never been able to get my custom wallpaper to show up properly on first boot, but does show in the folder I put it in and shows up as a wallpaper when in Personalization\Desktop Background, and my logo has always shown up properly.

My Wallpaper path

$$\Web\Wallpaper\ (%SYSTEMDRIVE%:\Windows\Web\Wallpaper)

My Logo path

$$\System32\ (%SYSTEMDRIVE%:\Windows\System32)

Thursday, October 13, 2011 2:56 PM
  • Did you placed them on your distribution media as well? And did you name the folder's correctly? i.e. $$ or $1)

I have never been able to get my custom wallpaper to show up properly on first boot, but does show in the folder I put it in and shows up as a wallpaper when in Personalization\Desktop Background, and my logo has always shown up properly.

My Wallpaper path

$$\Web\Wallpaper\ (%SYSTEMDRIVE%:\Windows\Web\Wallpaper)

My Logo path

$$\System32\ (%SYSTEMDRIVE%:\Windows\System32)

I thought that it automatically pulls them in when i use tools->create media-> create IBW build from answer file.

If thats not correct how do i create a UFD with everything I need on it?

On my developer PC i created a folder named "custom" in the $OEM$ folder. Then created another folder called $OEM$ and then put the logos there, so its C:\Program Files\Windows Embedded Standard 7\DSSP1\$OEM$ Folders\custom\$OEM$

Is that correct?

Thursday, October 13, 2011 3:06 PM
  • I have not used the create IBW build from answer file before, I use just a full DS and add different answer files to it allowing me to have just one UFD for all my configurations. I'm sure it pulls it all in like it is suppose to, you can check by opening the UFD and going to;

DS\$OEM$ Folders\Custom\$OEM$\$$\...

You'll need to create folders named $$ or $1 under your $OEM$ folder. The $OEM$ folder itself does not point to any folder in windows.

Full path for my wallpaper on UFD

%DRIVE%\DS\$OEM$ Folders\Custom\$OEM$\$$\Web\Wallpaper\

Thursday, October 13, 2011 3:14 PM
  • There ar books and articles that covers some of these steps:

http://www.annabooks.com/Articles/Articles_WES7/Intro_WES7%20V1.7.pdf

http://www.annabooks.com/Book_PGWES7.html

-Sean

Thursday, October 13, 2011 3:48 PM
  • There ar books and articles that covers some of these steps:

http://www.annabooks.com/Articles/Articles_WES7/Intro_WES7%20V1.7.pdf

http://www.annabooks.com/Book_PGWES7.html

-Sean

Ordered your book yesterday. Just being a little impatient I guess. I've learned so much on my own, and now i'm getting so close.

company is expecting something within a few weeks. So trying to get as much done as I can.

Thursday, October 13, 2011 4:03 PM