VS Shell:customizing Object Browser for a new language RRS feed

• Question

• Regarding VS 2010 SDK and shell (both integrated and isolated) packages I can not find any information (assuming it is even possible) on customizing Object Browser to display namespaces, objects and members of a custom language.

The language that I am dealing with exposes metadata in files separate from code files (code files are dlls) .

Is it possible to adapt VS 2010 Isolated Shell Object Browser to read and display such custom metadata?

Sunday, October 9, 2011 7:11 PM

Answers

All replies

• Hi Tonko,

As far as I know, Visual Studio register Symbols Library (IVsSimpleLibrary2) to display the object in Object Browser via Object Manager (IVsObjectManager2). Therefore, we can use Object Browser to display namespaces, objects and members of a custom language.

As the example, please check IronPython Studio VS Shell Isolated and IronPython Integrated Shell.

If I misunderstand you, please me know.

Regards,

Yi

Yi Feng Li [MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us
    Get or Request Code Sample from Microsoft
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

• Marked as answer by Tonko Monday, October 10, 2011 11:05 PM
    Monday, October 10, 2011 8:23 AM
  • Thanks Yi,

I guess I'll have to bite the bullet and unzip IronPython or try this sample code ( Using the Babel Package ) 

What has me confused is that Object Browser's dialog for adding components to it, under Browse tab lets you add only components having standard COM and executable file extensions. Files with other extensions are filtered out and there is no All Files *.* entry in Files of Type combo.

How do I add myfile.mycustomeextension as the component with metadata for the Object Browser is still a mystery which I hope these samples will reveal.
    • Edited by Tonko Tuesday, October 11, 2011 3:43 AM
    Monday, October 10, 2011 11:05 PM