consequences for WPF/e when the Feb 2007 CTP will expire on June 1, 2007 RRS feed

• Question

• Hello all.

What are the consequences that the Feb 2007 CTP will expire on June 1, 2007?

Does there come anothet CTP or what is the meaning of this?

I saw this at this site  (http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=E63992D3-CCF5-40B9-B98A-D16BCA57467C&displaylang=en)
     "at which point when a web page that uses it is rendered, it will prompt the user to update to the latest version. “WPF/E” (codename) will periodically ping Microsoft.com to verify its integrity (at which point the only information that will be communicated will be your IP address and the module version)."

What does this mean?

can someone explain it to me?

thanx

bye

Wednesday, April 4, 2007 1:37 PM

Answers

• Just to give you a heads up then -- the next CTP has introduced a fair amount of breaking changes where you'll have to update your code. We will release a "breaking change" document (either on a blog or in the SDK) that describes what has changed.

-mark
    Program Manager
    Microsoft
    This post is provided "as-is"
    Friday, April 13, 2007 9:10 PM

All replies

• I suspect it means that the next CTP should be in our hands sometime prior to June 1, 2007, at which time, there would be no need to continue using the Feb 2007 bits. Since supporting the Feb 2007 CTP would be pointless once the next round of bits are out, it makes sense to ensure that they no longer function (e.g. time out and expire).

Kevgor

Tuesday, April 10, 2007 11:01 PM
  • So is it smart to continue with the Feb. 2007 bits and make everything work on that version? or does I have to wait untill the June version is coming out. (does not have that time)

From the december 2006 version to the feb 2007 version the only thing I had to change was the aghost.js file and it works again.

Hope someone does know more about it.

Bye.

Wednesday, April 11, 2007 6:08 AM
  • I'd be pretty shocked if the next CTP was not backward compatible, as was the last one.

There are a lot of folks writing WPF/E that would have multiple pages of demos that would all of a sudden be broken.

I'm proceeding onward under the assumption that it will simply mean dropping the new aghost.js file onto my site.

I've been wrong before Smile

-Dave

Wednesday, April 11, 2007 11:18 PM
  • hello   WynApse,

What do you mean with "I've been wrong before "???

I don't get that, because from dec. to the feb. version you aonly needed to change aghost.js, or am I wrong??

And yes indeed, I've been pretty shocked to if the next CTP is not backward compatible.

bye and thanks for your reply (opinion)

Thursday, April 12, 2007 6:07 AM
  • Sorry Gerard...

"I've been wrong before" is a phrase we use in the U.S. that means.... "I could be wrong, I've made mistakes in the past", but don't necessarily have anything to do with the subject at-hand.

I've been wrong about thinking I had enough gasoline to get to work for instance Smile

I have no reason to believe we won't simply be able to drop the new aghost in and everything will work fine. I sure hope so, I've got a lot of WPF/E out there!

Sorry for any confusion..

-Dave

Thursday, April 12, 2007 6:52 PM
  • Hahaha ok, I was worriedSmile

bye and till the next time on this forum.

ps: on your site I saw something about createFromXamlDownloader.

Do you know an example or some code that let me load 2 xaml files behind eachother on my screen, without any error message?

I've got an post about it, but I saw it at your site. So I thought "do it this way".

Thursday, April 12, 2007 7:17 PM
  • Hello again...

I've used createFromXaml, but have not used the downloader.

I saw your other post earlier, and have Bryant's links on my list of things to investigate myself.

He has experience in that area...

-Dave

Thursday, April 12, 2007 7:43 PM

• Just to give you a heads up then -- the next CTP has introduced a fair amount of breaking changes where you'll have to update your code. We will release a "breaking change" document (either on a blog or in the SDK) that describes what has changed.

-mark
    Program Manager
    Microsoft
    This post is provided "as-is"
    Friday, April 13, 2007 9:10 PM
  • ouch... that might be a long night... Smile

Thanks for the heads-up, Mark!

-Dave

Thursday, April 19, 2007 1:03 PM