Database Push with ADO.NET Data Services/Entity Framework RRS feed

• Question

• I was wondering if anyone knows whether there are plans to create some sort of database push technology through ADO.NET DS/EF?  I am aware of the WCF Duplex service as well as Sockets to do a sort of pseudo data push.  But this just mainly involves data not being changed in the database.  Such as a chat server or live messaging.  But what about the case where a business application is exchanging data with a database, and those changes also need to be pushed to all the clients currently running the application?  Is there a planned implementation for synchronizing database objects?  Possibly through the use of ADO.NET DS/EF?  Any direction here Microsoft or others?

Thanks,
    Robert
    Saturday, November 8, 2008 12:50 AM

All replies

• Here's something that we have been thinking about - http://blogs.msdn.com/astoriateam/archive/2008/10/22/astoria-futures-offline-enabled-data-services.aspx. Is it what you were looking for? Its definitely not push technologies, but you can synchronize clients from time to time with the server.

Thanks

Pratik

Saturday, November 8, 2008 1:10 AM
  • Pratik,

This looks very intriguing, and may be just what I am looking for.  I get the sense that this means each client (each user of the Silverlight app) would need to have a local SQL Server compact database on their computer, configured to work with the app.  Is this correct?  Or is there another way of doing this without having to install/configure a local database on each client's computer?

Thanks,
    Robert
    Saturday, November 8, 2008 10:06 AM
  • Most versions of "push" I have seen are actually some form of client pull under the covers with some polling interval (i.e. mesh client).  I have thought about some kind of blocking in the server call waiting on some event, and think that would work, but would not scale very well - hense why some solutions wait for only small max periods and return null (timeout) or the payload.  Client then starts again with next request and waits for reply, etc.  So that may be one way to get some of what you need without resorting to a full sync solution.

So would something like a static Autoreset in the DataService work?  I am unclear how this may behave give that the app domain can be torn down or multiple app domains existing, but would also like some thoughts.

Saturday, November 8, 2008 8:10 PM
  • Hi, All:

Now there is a software package available for pushing data wtithin database through triggers, stored procedure and sql statements. Supported database management systems are SQL server, MySQL, Oracle and DB2.

Send any message onto any clients from backend databases in real-time fashion

Tuesday, April 27, 2010 7:53 PM