Permissions problem on win 2003 RRS feed

• Question

• User528807759 posted

Hi,

We have a Win 2000 server with FPSE and WebDAV installed. I use Front Page to convert to folders to subweb and to set up permissions by using unique permissions for each subweb (folder) and assigning particular users to author and browse.

We’ve been using Dreamweaver to add, modify and delete web pages. DW connects to the remote using WebDAV. It works fine.

We’ve just got a new machine with Win 2003 server to replace the old one. I’ve installed FPSE 2002 and WebDAV and in Web Service Extensions I’ve selected allowed (Computer Management).

I’ve created a web site (called myweb) and have pointed it to D:\ folderName and have selected Read, Log_visits and Index this resource on the Home Directory tab (myweb Properties popup).

Under the myweb I’ve also created a virtual directory called WebDAV and have pointed it to D:\folderName (the same as myweb website). In the WebDAV popup window Properties, under Virtual Directory I’ve selected: Read, Write, Directory browsing, Log_visits and Index this resource.

I’ve extended FPSE to the new web site.

I’ve set up all permissions the same way as it is on the old machine.

I can connect with Front Page and Dreamweaver and everything works fine except permissions.

For example:

Super (Top level) user and a subweb (one folder) user can download all files from the remote (live) server. – OK

On the root level:

Both users can upload a file downloaded from the remote back to it – JUST SUPER USER SHOULD BE ABLE

Both users can upload a new file (created on the local machine) - – JUST SUPER USER SHOULD BE ABLE

<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p> </o:p>

On the subweb (folder one level down):

both users can upload a file downloaded from the remote back to it - OK

both users CANNOT upload new files created on the local machine. – BOTH USERS SHOULD BE ABLE

<o:p> </o:p>

What is the problem?

Any idea?

Thanks,

b.

Friday, May 18, 2007 1:39 AM

All replies

• User-823196590 posted

Permissions are based on NTFS file system permissions - so because you're using the same physical location for both web folders you can't have different permissions.

Friday, May 18, 2007 8:28 AM
  • User528807759 posted

Hi Tom,

This is the setup on the old server that works:

http://www.adobe.com/cfusion/knowledgebase/index.cfm?id=tn_19095 <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p><o:p> </o:p>plus I’ve created a virtual directory in the WebDAV website and it points to the same folder.<o:p></o:p><o:p> </o:p>I’ve done the same setup on the new machine but no luck.<o:p></o:p>I can connect from Dreamweaver using port 81 but permissions are not applied. Any user can upload any file on any level.<o:p></o:p><o:p> </o:p>How come the same setup works fine on Win 2000 but it has no effects on Win 2003?<o:p></o:p><o:p> </o:p>Thanks,<o:p></o:p>b.<o:p></o:p>

Monday, May 21, 2007 3:07 AM
  • User528807759 posted

Hi Tom,

This is the setup on the old server that works:

http://www.adobe.com/cfusion/knowledgebase/index.cfm?id=tn_19095 <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p><o:p> </o:p>plus I’ve created a virtual directory in the WebDAV website and it points to the same folder.<o:p></o:p><o:p> </o:p>I’ve done the same setup on the new machine but no luck.<o:p></o:p>I can connect from Dreamweaver using port 81 but permissions are not applied. Any user can upload any file on any level.<o:p></o:p><o:p> </o:p>How come the same setup works fine on Win 2000 but it has no effects on Win 2003?<o:p></o:p><o:p> </o:p>Thanks,<o:p></o:p>b.<o:p></o:p>

Monday, May 21, 2007 6:06 AM
  • User-823196590 posted

It all comes down to NTFS permissions - which must be different in some way between the two servers. The file/folder level permissions ultimately determine which accounts can access read/write the content. Also make sure that you have not allowed anonymous access on the WebDAV site (Website 2 Step 4 from your CF article).

Monday, May 21, 2007 8:46 AM
  • User528807759 posted

Thanks Tom,

Yes, I've disabled anonymous access on the WebDAV site.

Now when I know that permissions are on the file/folder leveI I really don't understand how everything is working on the old server.

Is it possible that the server version is the reason? The old machine is running Win 2000 and the new one Win 2003 SP1.

Thanks,

b.

Tuesday, May 22, 2007 1:18 AM
  • User-823196590 posted

I don't think server version should matter.

Tuesday, May 22, 2007 8:23 AM
  • User528807759 posted

Thanks for your help.

Next week the new server is going live and I'll try to restrict the number of users.

Kind Regards,

b.

Wednesday, May 23, 2007 8:05 PM