When running VS as administrator in Windows 8.1 cannot create a virtual directory for MVC 4 web project RRS feed

• Question

• User-1076932223 posted

Hi!

After upgrading to Windows 8.1 i am no longer able to create virtual directories for web projects. The error i get tells me that i need to be running as an administrator to be able to create the virtual dir in IIS. This puzzles me because i am running Visual Studio with administrator privileges.

I have tried reinstalling IIS, .NET framework and Visual Studio to no avail. Is there anything else i could try?

Wednesday, October 23, 2013 6:50 AM

Answers

• User-1076932223 posted

Solved the problem finally. 

Apparently the upgrade procedure backs up the system wide .NET framework configs and generates the new ones. In my case the new configs were lacking some sections and had broken references to other files. After fixing the system wide config files, everything started working correctly.

The backed up files are placed in C:\Windows.old directory.

• Marked as answer by Anonymous Thursday, October 7, 2021 12:00 AM
    Wednesday, October 23, 2013 8:22 AM

All replies

• User-1076932223 posted

Solved the problem finally. 

Apparently the upgrade procedure backs up the system wide .NET framework configs and generates the new ones. In my case the new configs were lacking some sections and had broken references to other files. After fixing the system wide config files, everything started working correctly.

The backed up files are placed in C:\Windows.old directory.

• Marked as answer by Anonymous Thursday, October 7, 2021 12:00 AM
    Wednesday, October 23, 2013 8:22 AM
  • User-1426144113 posted

Hi,

I think I should research the Win8.1. Good.

Thanks

Thursday, October 24, 2013 4:57 AM