DataProtectionProvider in Win Store App RRS feed

• Question

• I am not able to find much information on this cryptographic provider. However most of the remarks for this provider and other information in MSDN makes me believe it is some kind of wrapper or related to Windows Data Protection (DPAPI). So is it anyway related to DPAPI or if not is there any documentation or white paper available (other then DataProtectionProvider class) for this provider discussing the internals(something like this one)?

Thanks,
    Sachin
    My Samples | Personal Website

• Edited by Sachin S Friday, April 26, 2013 1:49 PM
    Friday, April 26, 2013 1:48 PM

Answers

• Sachin - I am pretty sure that this is the same thing.  What exactly are you trying to accomplish?  I have a buddy who an expert in the crypto space, I can get him to chime in here.

Matt Small - Microsoft Escalation Engineer - Forum Moderator
    If my reply answers your question, please mark this post as answered.

NOTE: If I ask for code, please provide something that I can drop directly into a project and run (including XAML), or an actual application project. I'm trying to help a lot of people, so I don't have time to figure out weird snippets with undefined objects and unknown namespaces.

Friday, April 26, 2013 4:03 PM

All replies

• Sachin - I am pretty sure that this is the same thing.  What exactly are you trying to accomplish?  I have a buddy who an expert in the crypto space, I can get him to chime in here.

Matt Small - Microsoft Escalation Engineer - Forum Moderator
    If my reply answers your question, please mark this post as answered.

NOTE: If I ask for code, please provide something that I can drop directly into a project and run (including XAML), or an actual application project. I'm trying to help a lot of people, so I don't have time to figure out weird snippets with undefined objects and unknown namespaces.

Friday, April 26, 2013 4:03 PM
  • Hi Matt,

I was just trying to store data(not too much sensitive, just do not want to put in plain text) into SqlLite db in encrypted form and retrieve it whenever application need it. There is no problem in usage of apis available on this provider, just wanted to know or confirm if there is some link between DataProtectionProvider and DPAPI (as MSDN do not have any info on this).

Thanks,
    Sachin
    My Samples | Personal Website

Friday, April 26, 2013 7:54 PM