[WP8.1][HTML]running JS with HTML5 based app on windows phone silently crashing the app. RRS feed

• Question

• I am trying to build JS based app using Visual Studio ultimate 2013 , with service pack update 4. Whenever I create Universal APP  on html5 + Jas even if i just use Microsoft's provided app's template e.g. "Controls_AppBar" it always crashes on my real device and even on the emulator.

ON compile time i get this warning everytime i build any JS+HTML5 based app. 

1>Deploying to Phone Internal Storage...
    1>Updating the layout...
    1>Checking whether required frameworks are installed...
    1>Warning : DEP0810 : This app references Microsoft.Phone.WinJS.2.1, version 1.0.9651.0, found in your SDK, but you have a higher version of Microsoft.Phone.WinJS.2.1 installed on the target machine, 1.0.9651.40228. If you continue to run this application, it will run against the currently installed version, Microsoft.Phone.WinJS.2.1, version 1.0.9651.40228. Consider updating your SDK to match the version of Microsoft.Phone.WinJS.2.1 that is installed. http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=260891
    1>Registering the application to run from layout...
    1>Deployment complete (5002ms). Full package name: "7A8E6C0D-2726-425B-8B57-F25717BEDDD1_1.0.0.0_neutral__z470sj18dr3cj"
    ========== Build: 0 succeeded, 0 failed, 1 up-to-date, 0 skipped ==========

But i have tried everything i could not found a way to solve this warning , but on one of the forum i read its not the case.

On phone device when i run the app it silently close the application without showing any error message but whenever i debug i find this error " 

JavaScript critical error in (unknown source location)\n\nSCRIPT7: Out of memory 

If i create same project "Controls_AppBar" with different languages like C# or C++ , and then after deploy on mobile device ,  it runs smoothly without giving any single issue. Even though the size is not big when i deploy on my phone device but still i always encounter this error for JS+HTML project. 

Below is the configuration of my phone and computer.

Phone Tested on
    Nokia Lumia 720
    RAM 512
    Software: Windows phone 8.1 update
    OS Version: 8.10.14219.341

Computer compiled on:

Windows 8.1 pro
    64 bit OS

Kindly share your experiance what could be the reason behind ? The Tablet windows 8 APP on universal project works fine flawless but error comes when i deploy my app on my phone device. 

Things has been changed but that just the way it is!!!

• Edited by Jamles Hez Monday, June 8, 2015 2:32 PM add title tag
    Tuesday, May 26, 2015 9:35 AM

Answers

• Hi Wolvorine,

Yes, Warning is not the problem, when I deploy the app, I have the same warning but it wont block the app.

Basically I would recommend you test the sample from here: https://code.msdn.microsoft.com/windowsapps/App-bar-sample-a57eeae9, it should not cause any error or crash.

Your code crash on real device and sometimes emulator with "Out of memory", that sounds more like you need pref the memory in WinJS app, see this for more information: https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/apps/jj819176.aspx

Basically you need to find out which part use most of the memory, as I can see the message is unknown source location, I'd like to guess if you have installed some runtime components or some other third party libraries that cause the issue.

--James

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Monday, June 8, 2015 2:12 PM

All replies

• Hello,

The problem might be cased by phone device. I have the same OS version phone device. Can you submit a repro project, I will test for you and let you know my result. Or test on another phone device to see whether the problem is persists.

Wednesday, May 27, 2015 5:51 AM
  • Hi Wolvorine,

Yes, Warning is not the problem, when I deploy the app, I have the same warning but it wont block the app.

Basically I would recommend you test the sample from here: https://code.msdn.microsoft.com/windowsapps/App-bar-sample-a57eeae9, it should not cause any error or crash.

Your code crash on real device and sometimes emulator with "Out of memory", that sounds more like you need pref the memory in WinJS app, see this for more information: https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/apps/jj819176.aspx

Basically you need to find out which part use most of the memory, as I can see the message is unknown source location, I'd like to guess if you have installed some runtime components or some other third party libraries that cause the issue.

--James

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Monday, June 8, 2015 2:12 PM