none
Old VB program will no longer install without .NET 3.5 RRS feed

• Question

• I have a progarm I wrote a while ago (2012??) which I need to re-install on a new laptop.

The new latptop has the latest .NET installed which I think is 4.8

When I run the program through Visual Studio 2019, it works fine.  I then 'publish' it and when I go to install it using the setup.exe, it states that I 'need the following components:'

.NET Framework 3.5 SP1.

For some reason this then doesnt install so I can get no further.

Ideally I would change my program in Visual Studio to reference the newer version of .NET Framework but I dont know how!

Also, Im not even sure which part of my program uses the .NET Framework.  If you can please help with:

1) How to reference the newer version of the .NET Framework

2) Work out what in my programe uses this .NET Framework (as its a pretty simple program).

MAny thanks!

Thursday, March 12, 2020 2:35 PM

Answers

• Right-click your project name in Solution Explorer.  Click Properties way at the bottom of the menu that appears.  Select the Application tab at the left of the window that opens.  You will see a Target framework drop down there.

On the Publish tab of that same window, there is a Prerequisites button.  You should be able to set it to download .Net Framework 3.5 during the installation of your application.  If the version you want is not available under Prerequisites go to back to the Application tab and select Install Other frameworks from the Target framework drop down.

• Marked as answer by Mister S Thursday, March 12, 2020 2:46 PM
    Thursday, March 12, 2020 2:41 PM