Excel PowerQuery and Lightswitch RRS feed

• Question

• It is possible to read data from Lightswitch with the OData link https://something.com/ApplicationData.svc in Excel 2013 using the add-in PowerQuery.

But I would like to know if anybody knows an easy way to modify data to lightswitch database from Excel?

Thanks

Sunday, January 4, 2015 2:34 PM

Answers

• Hi Yves,

We can use Microsoft Excel to analyze data from a Visual Studio LightSwitch application using PowerPivot.

If you want to modify data to lightswitch database from Excel, how about importing data from Excel? this can be done programmatically, it’s pretty common to store data in Excel documents. An Excel Import extension is available for us. See: How to Import Data from Excel

Please let me know if there is anything that I can do to help.

Best regards,

Angie

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

• Marked as answer by Angie Xu Monday, January 19, 2015 1:37 AM
    Monday, January 5, 2015 7:02 AM
  • Excel can consume OData but I don't believe it can update an OData service.  There is a 3rd party Add-in, but I have not tried it with LS OData:

http://www.rssbus.com/excel/odata/download.aspx

HTH,

Josh

Monday, January 5, 2015 8:49 PM

All replies

• Hi Yves,

We can use Microsoft Excel to analyze data from a Visual Studio LightSwitch application using PowerPivot.

If you want to modify data to lightswitch database from Excel, how about importing data from Excel? this can be done programmatically, it’s pretty common to store data in Excel documents. An Excel Import extension is available for us. See: How to Import Data from Excel

Please let me know if there is anything that I can do to help.

Best regards,

Angie

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Monday, January 5, 2015 7:02 AM
  • PowerQuery seems more adequate than PowerPivot.

I have read that the Excel import extension is quite old and seems inadequate in some cases.

Do you know well this extension?

Yves Pflieger

Monday, January 5, 2015 3:01 PM
  • Excel can consume OData but I don't believe it can update an OData service.  There is a 3rd party Add-in, but I have not tried it with LS OData:

http://www.rssbus.com/excel/odata/download.aspx

HTH,

Josh

Monday, January 5, 2015 8:49 PM