none
My application crash at a customer home, I cannot seem to find any relevant information. RRS feed

• Question

• Hi, my application crash at one of my customer's home. When it crash, there is only a popup saying "The application has encountered a fatal error and needs to close". There is no exception information on that box unlike usually where you can see the exception type when the application crash.

The only information I was able to find was in windows event logs, there seem to been an error in mscowrks.dll each time the application crash:

source: Application Error
    Faulting application PindleSkill.exe, version 1.0.0.0, faulting module mscorwks.dll, version 2.0.50727.1433, fault address 0x002b832f.

That seem to happen every time. There is one other error also but there is only a few of those and I do not think it is related to the crash since it dosent happen every time:

source: Application hang
    Hanging application PindleSkill.exe, version 1.0.0.0, hang module hungapp, version 0.0.0.0, hang address 0x00000000.

Is there anything I can do to find out more information about this crash? It started to happen with a new version I released and happens 10-15 minutes after the app start. I tested that new version and cannot seem to reproduce the error. Anyone ever encountered similar problems?

Friday, August 29, 2008 5:02 PM

Answers

• You can use the Windbg or Process Explorer tool to debug the application to find the root cause, here is an article for you to start:

How to debug application crash/hang in production environment?
    http://blogs.msdn.com/msdnts/archive/2006/11/24/how-to-debug-application-crash-hang-in-production-environment.aspx

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    • Marked as answer by Zhi-Xin Ye Thursday, September 4, 2008 3:39 PM
    Wednesday, September 3, 2008 9:42 AM

All replies

• You can use the Windbg or Process Explorer tool to debug the application to find the root cause, here is an article for you to start:

How to debug application crash/hang in production environment?
    http://blogs.msdn.com/msdnts/archive/2006/11/24/how-to-debug-application-crash-hang-in-production-environment.aspx

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    • Marked as answer by Zhi-Xin Ye Thursday, September 4, 2008 3:39 PM
    Wednesday, September 3, 2008 9:42 AM
  • Crashes of the CLR are invariably caused by AV software and viruses, in that order.  Obviously hard to repro.
    Hans Passant.
    Wednesday, September 3, 2008 11:33 AM