none
Does Windows 8 WLAN support TSO(TCP Segment Offload)? RRS feed

• Question

• Dear MSFT team,

As titled, does Windows 8 WLAN support TSO(TCP Segment Offload)?

wlan worker

Tuesday, July 30, 2013 1:27 AM

Answers

• Frankly, I don't know if anything in the OS blocks WLAN NICs from performing LSO.  (NDIS would allow it, but I suspect that NWIFI blocks it.)

I do know that nobody has yet built a WLAN NIC that supports LSO.  Presumably WLAN is low-bandwidth enough that there's little opportunity to gain CPU cycles back by offloading segmentation.  I'm curious whether you have a scenario where you see a lot of cycles being spent in the TCPIP stack during heavy TX on WLAN.

If you're seriously considering this, you should contact the WLAN team at Microsoft to get a more official statement.

Tuesday, July 30, 2013 6:30 PM

All replies

• Frankly, I don't know if anything in the OS blocks WLAN NICs from performing LSO.  (NDIS would allow it, but I suspect that NWIFI blocks it.)

I do know that nobody has yet built a WLAN NIC that supports LSO.  Presumably WLAN is low-bandwidth enough that there's little opportunity to gain CPU cycles back by offloading segmentation.  I'm curious whether you have a scenario where you see a lot of cycles being spent in the TCPIP stack during heavy TX on WLAN.

If you're seriously considering this, you should contact the WLAN team at Microsoft to get a more official statement.

Tuesday, July 30, 2013 6:30 PM
  • Thanks for your information. We don't have a scenario as you described. We just want to evaluate the feasibility and provide product with the same throughput and less CPU power.  
    Friday, August 2, 2013 7:30 AM