none
Error in Summarise function

Question

• Hi,

I have a table named feedback with two columns - Date and Organised By.  The Organised by column has Client names.

I want to generate a table where I Group by Organised by column and count the unique dates

I wrote the following calculated field formula (name is Sessions conducted by client) to compute Sessions conducted per client

=SUMMARIZE(Feedback,Feedback[Organised by],"Count of sessions",DISTINCTCOUNT(Feedback[Date]))

When I click on Check formula, I get the following error

Calculation error in measure 'Feedback'[Sessions conducted by client]: The expression refers to multiple columns. Multiple columns cannot be converted to a scalar value.

Could you please correct my formula above.

Once the error is resolve, I will pass it to a function which will return require a Table input.

Pleas help.

Regards, Ashish Mathur Microsoft Excel MVP www.ashishmathur.com

Friday, March 08, 2013 3:24 AM

Answers

• Hi,

Thank you for clarifying.  I used the following calculated field formula to compute the sessions conducted at Top 10 clients

=sumx(TOPN(10,SUMMARIZE(Feedback,Feedback[Organised by],"Count of sessions",[Sessions conducted]),[Sessions conducted],0),[Sessions conducted])

Sessions conducted is a calculated field computed as follows

=DISTINCTCOUNT(Feedback[Date])

Thank you for your help.

Friday, March 08, 2013 10:27 AM

All replies

• Hi Ashish,

There's nothing wrong with the syntax of the Summarize() function as you've used it here - the problem is that it returns a table of values, and a calculated column expression needs to return a single value. You can't 'see' a table of values in a single cell.

Regards,

Chris

Check out my MS BI blog I also do SSAS, PowerPivot, MDX and DAX consultancy and run public SQL Server and BI training courses in the UK

Friday, March 08, 2013 9:32 AM
  • Hi,

Thank you for clarifying.  I used the following calculated field formula to compute the sessions conducted at Top 10 clients

=sumx(TOPN(10,SUMMARIZE(Feedback,Feedback[Organised by],"Count of sessions",[Sessions conducted]),[Sessions conducted],0),[Sessions conducted])

Sessions conducted is a calculated field computed as follows

=DISTINCTCOUNT(Feedback[Date])

Thank you for your help.

Friday, March 08, 2013 10:27 AM