none
EAS 14.0 Reply state - email2:LastVerbExecuted clarification RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

As the following element is supported by exchange server 2010 protocol 14.0

[MS-ASEMAIL] 2.2.2.23 email2:LastVerbExecuted

Our assumption was if the email is forwarded/reply/reply all has being executed by the user from any device server will maintain such executed state.

But our analysis shows that only the emails forward/replyall/reply when done thru OWA we receive the lastverbexecuted.

But if our client or windows mobile does the forward/replyall/reply doesn't have lastverbexecuted post the sync from the server.

So overall our perception is only OWA emails support lastverbsupport and other clients do not?

Is it correct behaviour?

Thanks

Czar

Friday, March 11, 2011 1:19 PM

Answers

• Hi Czar, I've looked into this some more. The mail server, Exchange Server 2010 in this case, is responsible for setting the LastVerbExecuted property on the original message when the client replies to or forwards a message if the client meets the version requirements.

Would it be possible for you to send me either a sample message that was sent as a reply or forward, or a network trace that contains the communications between the client and server? You can send that to dochelp[at]microsoft[dot]com and reference the title of this thread.

Josh Curry (jcurry) | Escalation Engineer | US-CSS DSC Protocols Team
    Wednesday, March 30, 2011 7:19 PM

All replies

• Hi, Czar,

Thanks for your question.  One of our team members will work on it and respond soon.

Hongwei Sun -MSFT
    Friday, March 11, 2011 3:45 PM
  • Hi Czar, I am the engineer who will be working with you on this issue. I am currently researching the problem and will provide you with an update soon. Thank you for your patience.
    Friday, March 11, 2011 4:16 PM
  • Czar, product specific implementation details and behaviors are outside of the scope of the protocol documentation.

However, per MS-ASEMAIL section 2.2.2.23, "The <email2:LastVerbExecuted> element<15> is an optional element that indicates the last action, such as reply or forward, that was taken on the message so that the client can display the appropriate icon."

So, there is no guarantee that you'll see that element in your search or sync results.

Also, behavior note <15> states that: "<15> Section 2.2.2.23: The <email2:LastVerbExecuted> element is not supported when the MS-ASProtocolVersion header value is set to 12.1."

So, it's possible that the device you are referring to does not support that element.

Wednesday, March 16, 2011 6:36 PM
  • Hi Josh,

Sorry for delayed reply.

Yes we are aware that it is optional as well as not supported in 12.1

We are sure that the clients are communicating in 14.0 version with exchange 2010 verified thru the logs on windows mobile and our own development.

At least my own development client supports this tag.

My only worry is if mobile clients send/reply/forward an email, if that state are not retained in the server it is unnecessary for the concept of LastVerbExecuted or "reply state".

I just wanted to be sure if i can rely on server for "LastVerbExecuted" be it any device.

Thanks

czar

• Edited by czar x Monday, March 21, 2011 6:00 AM correction
    Monday, March 21, 2011 5:58 AM
  • Hi Czar, I've looked into this some more. The mail server, Exchange Server 2010 in this case, is responsible for setting the LastVerbExecuted property on the original message when the client replies to or forwards a message if the client meets the version requirements.

Would it be possible for you to send me either a sample message that was sent as a reply or forward, or a network trace that contains the communications between the client and server? You can send that to dochelp[at]microsoft[dot]com and reference the title of this thread.

Wednesday, March 30, 2011 7:19 PM
  • Hi Czar, I have not received any data from you yet.  Please let me know if you still need any help with this. Otherwise, I will consider the issue resolved.

Thank you.

Thursday, April 7, 2011 5:38 PM
  •  

Hi Josh,

Sorry again for delayed reply.

I have checked the logs which represents similar to samples given in the documentation reference (http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ff631532%28v=EXCHG.80%29.aspx) since there is nothing much to it.

I have not sent the samples bcoz the reason stated above, do u mean to include the HTTP Post Request Line : Base64 encoded Query i.e. reference (http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ee160227%28v=EXCHG.80%29.aspx)

Without valid Base64 encoded query the email reply/forward would have failed.

Hope this helps you.

Let me know what more information i can provide.

Thanks

czar

• Edited by czar x Wednesday, April 13, 2011 10:25 AM rephrase
    Wednesday, April 13, 2011 10:23 AM
  • Hi Czar, we need a Network Monitor trace taken at the Exchange Server in order to be able to determine what is happening. Nothing else will give us the information we need.

Please let me know if you need help with that. Otherwise, please send the trace file to me at dochelp[at]microsoft[dot]com.

Monday, April 18, 2011 6:18 PM
  • Hi Josh,

I will try to capture in said "Network Monitor" tool and update you if possible to upload them.

Can you specifically let me know what packets should I capture?

Following packets i will work out and sent if possible

a)Sync (initial) pre-condition: having existing emails (convID, lastverb etc... ) device

b) Forward/Reply email and existing email - test scenario on device

c) Sync (post reply email) - post test verification of last verb on emails sent from device

Thanks

czar

Monday, April 25, 2011 12:26 PM
  • Hi Czar, please don't try to do any kind of filtering when capturing the trace. It's better to filter it afterwards. Also, it would be helpful if you could do it at a time when there's not a lot of other activity on the server.

You will want to start the capture, perform the steps that you listed above, and stop the capture. If the trace file is too large to be sent via e-mail I can set up a secure file transfer site that you can use to send it to me.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Tuesday, April 26, 2011 2:56 PM
  • Hi Josh,

Not sure if i can upload the traces, will update soon.

Czar

Tuesday, May 3, 2011 5:55 AM
  • Hi Czar, since I have not seen an e-mail from you with the attached trace files I am assuming that the files are too large to attach. Please let me know if that is the case. I can create a secure file transfer site that you can use to send me the files. If you send an e-mail to that same address I can reply with the information that you will need to upload those files to me.
    Thursday, May 5, 2011 3:41 PM
  • Hi Josh,

We are sorry that we cannot upload the network traces, as our company policy wont' allow.

I guess we can stop this question here.

We will investigate on our client software if there is any issues while sending the request itself further smartreply / smartforward.

If anything different we will update you.

Thanks

czar

Friday, May 6, 2011 11:02 AM
  • Hi Czar, let me know if anything changes. We'll consider this issue closed for now.
    Friday, May 6, 2011 3:34 PM