Windows Azure Storage Account: Test Service Availability and Account Validity? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi

What is considered the best way to test access to Windows Azure Storage Accounts: both Dev Fabric and Cloud?

The reason I am asking is I am creating a tool that will be working in both environments.

I want to inform the user if:

• For Dev Fabric: Check if Development Storage is started?
    • For Dev Fabric: If Dev Storage is started, then if user provided correct account name and key?
    • For Cloud: Check if Cloud Storage is available?
    • For Cloud: If Cloud Storage is available, then if user provided correct account name and key?

Thanks
    Jeff in Seattle
    Sunday, August 22, 2010 3:33 PM

Answers

• Hi Jeff,

Here are somethings you can do:

For Dev Fabric: Check if Development Storage is started?

You can find if DSService.exe process is running from the processes running on the computer. This will tell you if the development storage is running. However keep in mind that with development storage using the UI, I can shut down each of the services (tables, blobs and queues) individually so you may want to check for that as well.

For Dev Fabric: If Dev Storage is started, then if user provided correct account name and key?

Since the dev storage has fixed user name (devstoreaccount1) and key, I think it would be better if you either hard code into the application or put them in some configuration file so that user need not enter these manually.

For Cloud: Check if Cloud Storage is available?

I don't think an API based interface is available to test the availability of Cloud storage. I guess your best bet would be to check the service availability page.

For Cloud: If Cloud Storage is available, then if user provided correct account name and key?

This is somewhat tricky as there is no "Login" kind of functionality available. However for our products, here is what we've done: We take user's credentials and try and fetch just 1 table (or queue or blob container) to ensure that credentials provided are correct. The idea here is to ensure that credentials provided are correct. If the user specifies wrong credentials, the storage service will return an error. You can use that to identify if the credentials provided are correct or not.

Hope this helps.

Thanks

Gaurav Mantri

Cerebrata Software

http://www.cerebrata.com

Sunday, August 22, 2010 4:50 PM

All replies

• Hi Jeff,

Here are somethings you can do:

For Dev Fabric: Check if Development Storage is started?

You can find if DSService.exe process is running from the processes running on the computer. This will tell you if the development storage is running. However keep in mind that with development storage using the UI, I can shut down each of the services (tables, blobs and queues) individually so you may want to check for that as well.

For Dev Fabric: If Dev Storage is started, then if user provided correct account name and key?

Since the dev storage has fixed user name (devstoreaccount1) and key, I think it would be better if you either hard code into the application or put them in some configuration file so that user need not enter these manually.

For Cloud: Check if Cloud Storage is available?

I don't think an API based interface is available to test the availability of Cloud storage. I guess your best bet would be to check the service availability page.

For Cloud: If Cloud Storage is available, then if user provided correct account name and key?

This is somewhat tricky as there is no "Login" kind of functionality available. However for our products, here is what we've done: We take user's credentials and try and fetch just 1 table (or queue or blob container) to ensure that credentials provided are correct. The idea here is to ensure that credentials provided are correct. If the user specifies wrong credentials, the storage service will return an error. You can use that to identify if the credentials provided are correct or not.

Hope this helps.

Thanks

Gaurav Mantri

Cerebrata Software

http://www.cerebrata.com

Sunday, August 22, 2010 4:50 PM
  • This is great!

Thanks

Thanks
    Jeff in Seattle
    Sunday, August 22, 2010 10:09 PM
  • This is great! Thanks