none
space graph - can objects have multiple parents, how to move them, and what include options are there? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi there, the spacePaths=string[] attribute suggest that space objects can have multiple parents. That there can be multiple routes to an object. But then there's only one parent object to a space... which one is it?

Is "moving" an object in the graph achieved by simply running a Patch on a space object with a different parent id?

Is there documentation about the available "includes" for the different api's? for instance the spacePaths attribute for space objects is included if you add "fullpath" to the query... is there a way to obtain the full object model - the default on includes is typically none.

Kind regards, Gregor

Tuesday, October 30, 2018 3:22 PM

All replies

• Hi Gregor! Answering here and cross-posting to Stack Overflow as well :)

In answer to "is it a graph or a tree":

Currently it’s a tree through Parent Space ID.  We’re discussing internally how best to support many-to-many relationships while keeping the simplicity of our topologies.  In the meantime, we do see the tree enabling many core scenarios for developers, and in some cases we’ve seen people build around the single-parent relationship by using extensible properties to tag additional related spaces.

In answer to creating spaceObject types in general to extend the Topology:

Currently that’s a limitation with extended types/ontologies.  We’re looking at ways to improve ontologies and this is something we’ve thought about as well; we'll take this feedback as part of our planning.

• Proposed as answer by Bobbie Conti Wednesday, November 7, 2018 9:42 PM
    Wednesday, November 7, 2018 9:22 PM
  • I'm waiting for my account to be verified, so in the meantime, if you go look at Stack Overflow for our tag (azure-digital-twins) and look for the relevant question("space graph- can objects have multiple parents, how to move them, and what include options are there?") you will see our answer (shortly).
    Wednesday, November 7, 2018 9:25 PM
  • Hello,

As a reference I am adding the feature request so others can upvote:

This is the related question on Stack Overflow.

Thank you!

Monday, December 10, 2018 2:34 PM