none
hours worked uncoupled from Percent complete RRS feed

• Question

• It seems that the work hours and Percent complete are tied together (for updating tasks).  is there a way to remove this feature?

I tried looking into the enterprise custom fields, but since it is a part of project OOTB, it is not there.   is there another place i can find and change this?

or perhaps a workaround?

for example,  i have 1 person assigned to a single 8 hr task,   due to some unforeseen circumstance, he has worked 6 hours and is only 50% done,  however, when he goes to his tasks to update his work, he can not enter both of these at the same time.

he can either update to 50% done (4 hrs filled in automatically )

or he can enter 6 hours worked (75% done filled in automatically, overriding his 50% done if entered)

Friday, January 9, 2015 1:54 PM

All replies

• efrizzell,

The first question is, how do you know that the task is only 50% complete? If the resource has worked 6 hrs on an 8 hr task but yet is only half done, then apparently the work content is actually 12 hrs, not the estimated 8 hrs. What you need to do is to have the resource enter 6 hrs of actual work and then update the remaining work as 6 hrs. That will then cause Project to set the % Work Complete to 50%. And yes, unless the resource works overtime, the task will expand to 1.5 days.

Hope this helps.

John

Friday, January 9, 2015 3:33 PM
  • Hi efrizzell!

As John mentioned - add Remaining Work to MyTask view and push users spicify Actual And Remaining work (%complete calculates automatically).

Vadim Gerya, PMP

Saturday, January 10, 2015 3:55 PM
  • Hi efrizzel,

I would advise you to make your tasks as effort driven with a range of date for completion of task.  That would help you get actual reported tasks over a period of time with better accuracy. 

Regards, Syed Faizan ur Rehman, CBPM®,PRINCE2®, MCTS

Sunday, January 11, 2015 7:51 AM