Will there be an image backup in Windows Developer Preview?

Question

• Will Windows 8 offer an image backup similar to that in windows 7? When I look at the Control Panel Backup, all I see is a File History option, which would seem to be the same as a file backup. I would like the option to create a disk image on an external hard drive. This has saved my tail on more than one occasion in Win 7.
    Gateway laptop Windows 7 Professional SP1
    Monday, December 12, 2011 11:58 PM

Answers

• I can only speak for myself, but I always take weekly image backups in addition to my nightly file backups. These have saved my tail on more than one occaision when I installed a program that wreaked havoc with my system, and for whatever reason, System Restore failed to function correctly. It is also a good feature for recovering from a malware infection, or for transferring a system from one drive to another.

This is an extremely valuable tool, and I urge Microsoft to reconsider their decision to exclude it from Windows 8. Failing this, I will have to depend on third party developers, e.g., Acronis, Symantec to continue to offer these roducts (I believe there are also some freeware or shareware programs available too).

I will mark this as an answer, not because I am satisfied with the decision, but because it does explan the absence of the feature from this verison of Windows 8.

• Marked as answer by blegs38552 Thursday, December 15, 2011 3:15 PM
    Thursday, December 15, 2011 3:15 PM

All replies

• Hello blegs38552,

you are right, I can't find it either. File history talks of 'saves copies of your files so you can get them back if they are lost or damaged.
    Copy files from: All libraries, Desktop, Contacts and favorites.'
    Copy files to:     Name of attached drive/ Network Location.

There's nothing like System/Image Back Up visible via Control Panel or Search.

Thx for posting.

Irfan
    • Edited by Irfanfare Tuesday, December 13, 2011 2:59 AM was incomplete.
    Tuesday, December 13, 2011 2:53 AM
  • Since this is pre-Beta version, this feature is still under development and most likely you will see it in future release . But try do a backup and test and see whether it will backup photo or not or you could create library and put your photo there.
    Tuesday, December 13, 2011 11:25 AM
  • It isn't bothering us now, we know we shall eventually be removing WDP to make way for Beta, but MS will have to make System Backup linked up some where in the Control Panel along with File History, the place it's most expected to be Searched for.
    Irfan

• Edited by Irfanfare Wednesday, December 14, 2011 4:36 AM putting in the right words
    Tuesday, December 13, 2011 2:26 PM
  • Will Windows 8 offer an image backup similar to that in windows 7?

No, the Feature is gone with Windows 8:

Windows 7 Backup and Restore Deprecated 

While there is no behavioral change to Backup and Restore, this function is being deprecated and will not be updated. It was rarely used and its functionality has been replaced by the new File History feature. It will ship in Windows Developer Preview and enthusiasts who upgraded from Windows 7 to Windows Developer Preview or depend on Backup and Restore or disk image backup will be still able to use it. However, all access points to Backup and Restore, with the exception of the Control Panel, have been removed

So use the file backup feature in combination with system reset.

"A programmer is just a tool which converts caffeine into code"

• Proposed as answer by Andre.Ziegler Thursday, December 15, 2011 1:48 PM
    Thursday, December 15, 2011 1:48 PM
  • I can only speak for myself, but I always take weekly image backups in addition to my nightly file backups. These have saved my tail on more than one occaision when I installed a program that wreaked havoc with my system, and for whatever reason, System Restore failed to function correctly. It is also a good feature for recovering from a malware infection, or for transferring a system from one drive to another.

This is an extremely valuable tool, and I urge Microsoft to reconsider their decision to exclude it from Windows 8. Failing this, I will have to depend on third party developers, e.g., Acronis, Symantec to continue to offer these roducts (I believe there are also some freeware or shareware programs available too).

I will mark this as an answer, not because I am satisfied with the decision, but because it does explan the absence of the feature from this verison of Windows 8.

• Marked as answer by blegs38552 Thursday, December 15, 2011 3:15 PM
    Thursday, December 15, 2011 3:15 PM
  • Backup and Restore is still in Windows 8 (Developer Preview). It is in Control Panel named now Restore Windows 7 Backups

It has both, backup and restore, thus that new name, and it works same way as in Windows 7. And it works very well in Windows 8 too - I have used it both backuping and restoring system images in Windows 8. 

So in Metro UI just search with name 'restore' and you find that Restore Windows 7 Backups. 

Or in old UI in Control Panel look All Control Panel Items ( right side quite up, select show icons). 

• Proposed as answer by MinaIte Wednesday, February 8, 2012 5:44 PM
    • Edited by MinaIte Wednesday, February 8, 2012 5:46 PM
    Wednesday, February 8, 2012 5:36 PM
  • read my reply. It is still available but will no longer updaetd. So with windows9 the feature wil be removed. So satrt using a different tool ;)

Wednesday, February 8, 2012 6:10 PM
  • You can use recimg to take a system image. The system image includes your applications, but doesn't include your personal files. The utility can save the image to an external drive if you wish. I recommend History Vault for backing up your personal files.

RECIMG.EXE <command> <arguments>

The recimg.exe command line tool lets you configure a custom recovery image for Windows to use when you refresh your PC. When you create a custom recovery image, it will contain the desktop apps you've installed, and the Windows system files in their current state. Recovery images do not contain your Metro-style apps, documents, personal settings, or user profiles, because that information is preserved at the time you refresh your PC.

When you create a custom recovery image, recimg will store it in the specified directory, and set it as the active recovery image. If a custom recovery image is set as the active recovery image, Windows will use it when
    you refresh your PC. You can use the /setcurrent and /deregister options to select which recovery image Windows will use. All recovery images have the filename install.wim. If no install.wim file is found in the active recovery
    image directory, Windows will fall back to the default image (or to installation media) when you refresh your PC.

Note that you cannot reset your PC using a custom recovery image. Custom recovery images can only be used to refresh your PC.

The following commands can be specified:

/createimage <directory>
        Captures a new custom recovery image in the location specified by
        <directory>, and sets it as the active recovery image.

/setcurrent <directory>
        Sets the active recovery image to the install.wim file in the location
        specified by <directory>. Windows will use this image when you refresh
        your PC, even if a recovery image provided by your PC's manufacturer
        is present.

/deregister
        Deregisters the current custom recovery image. If a recovery image
        provided by your PC's manufacturer is present, Windows will use that
        image when you refresh your PC. Otherwise, Windows will use your
        installation media when you refresh your PC.

/showcurrent
        Displays the path to the directory in which the current active recovery     image is stored.

/help, /?
        Displays this help text.

Thursday, February 9, 2012 7:15 PM
  • Andre.Ziegler: read my reply. It is still available but will no longer updaetd. So with windows9 the feature wil be removed. So satrt using a different tool ;)

There may be much more that won't be available in future Windows 9, compared to next Windows 8, but that drive image copy will still be available in Windows 8, so why not to use it?

I personally have installed Windows 7 / 8 so that there is "smaller" C: -drive, where i have installed Windows and all software and then there is one or more separate data drives on disk, so D: or maybe more. I have made drive image of that whole Windows / software -drive C: every now and then with Windows image backup, that is very quick to do. So I will have very easy and quick to recover Windows installation, if hard drive breaks. Then I backup (sync-copy with Allway Sync) more often those data-drives, that have my data-files. So very easy to recover them too. I don't need to back up that Windows drive so often. 

History Vault in Windows 8 will be usefull, but not that easy to recover your installation. It will need one to to do more, to install Windows, software and then data with that History Vault. 

Drive image backup and image restore can also be very usefull sometimes, when installing Windows in some separate same type machines. So to install one machine and then to take drive image copy and to restore that image quickly to others. Or in situations, like trying Windows 8 beta, first to take drive image copy before that, then install that beta and try ... and then to restore your previous installation from drive image. When data files are in separate drives, system drive image can be quite small, so less than 20 gb. 

I also wish that Microsoft would let that image backup stay in Windows in future releases too after Windows 8. But if not, then I can just change to use some separate drive image backup software, when I move from Win 8 to next Windows version. It is as easy then to just change that, so no trouble / risk to use that drive image backup in Windows 8, while it still is there. 

• Edited by MinaIte Saturday, February 11, 2012 11:19 AM
    Saturday, February 11, 2012 10:54 AM
  • Mzcrium Reflect Standard http://www.macrium.com/default.aspx)- does image and file backups, and enables the user to schedule each separately, which Windows 7 does not do. There is also a free edition (http://www.macrium.com/reflectfree.aspx) whioch has basic image backup features, including the ability to create a restore disk, but lacks many of the bells and whistles, and the file backup of the Standard edition.

Works with Windows 7 and Windows 8 Developer Preview.

It is always a good idea to store data on a separate partition from Windows and Applications. Makes backing up and restoring a breeze and is far more secure than keep everything on one partition.

I will look at the Windows 8 backup in more detail once the beta comes out, but for now, this program works fine.

• Edited by blegs38552 Saturday, February 11, 2012 12:50 PM Additional info
    Saturday, February 11, 2012 12:37 PM
  • Andre.Ziegler: read my reply. It is still available but will no longer updaetd. So with windows9 the feature wil be removed. So satrt using a different tool ;)

but that drive image copy will still be available in Windows 8, so why not to use it?

becasue you can't import the backup in Windows 9 (when the tool is removed).

Sunday, February 12, 2012 1:00 AM
  • Why does Microsoft do this every so often? Why not stick with a backup program and improve it incrementally? Just two releases and Backup is being killed off even if users get a chance to use it. When Vista and Windows 7 launched, Windows Backup was touted so heavily as the next great thing replacing NTBackup because it operated at the block-level so incremental backups worked great. Some stupid telemetry reason is now suddenly used to kill off an entire feature that customers used daily. Windows Backup was a good tool, both file-based and image backup. At most, MS should only deprecate it but MS should not remove it from the OS, not even in Windows 9.

File History will replace the file backup feature of Windows Backup and Restore. Still, Windows Backup and Restore automatically compressed the files into ZIPs, File History doesn't look like it will do that. And what about VHD image-based backup?

• Edited by xpclient Monday, February 13, 2012 9:48 AM
    Monday, February 13, 2012 9:47 AM
  • MS should only deprecate it but MS should not remove it from the OS, not even in Windows 9.

same was with classic startmenu, floating toolbars Both marked as obsolete in Vista and removed in Windows 7. So the same happens with backup.

Try this tool:

http://www.todo-backup.com/products/home/free-backup-software.htm

if you dont want to sue the Fie history feature.

Monday, February 13, 2012 9:53 PM