none
Get 'sorttbls.nlp' error when trying to load ATI software - Win 7 .NET 4.0 RRS feed

• Question

• Built a computer with an ATI card (HD5850) and Win 7.  ATI's control software, Catalyst Control Center, worked fine until installing Win 7 SP1 about a week ago.  Windows would not boot after installing SP1, so I did a restore.  After that, CCC won't run and gives a "Could not load file or assembly 'sorttbls.nlp' or one of its dependencies.  The system cannot find the file specified."  Everything I've read indicates this is a .NET framework issue.  I reinstalled .NET 4.0 and uninstalled/reinstalled most recent CCC (11.2).  Still get the sorttbls.nlp message.  Any idea how to fix this, or am I heading for a Windows reinstall?

I've posted logs here:

http://cid-92a9edaad1cda3a9.skydrive.live.com/redir.aspx?resid=92A9EDAAD1CDA3A9!127

Tuesday, March 8, 2011 4:58 AM

Answers

• Hi bdemartino,

Thanks for your post.

I've searched the sorttbls.nlp file in my computer, and find that this file should be a component of the .NET Framework 2.
    And in the AMD Catalyst™ 11.2 Release Notes, I find below impormant note:

• The AMD Catalyst™ Control Center requires that the Microsoft® .NET Framework SP1 be installed for Windows XP and Windows Vista. Without .NET SP1 installed, the AMD Catalyst™ Control Center will not launch properly and the user will see an error message.
    • When installing the AMD Catalyst™ driver for Windows operating system, the user must be logged on as Administrator or have Administrator rights to complete the installation of the AMD Catalyst™ driver.

You can try the steps below to resolve this problem.

Firstly, please go to Start Menu -> Control Panel -> Uninstall a program -> Turn Windows features on or off,

• If the checkbox of Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5.1 is not been selected, then select it and click OK.
    • If the checkbox of Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5.1 is been selected, unselect the checkbox first, click OK. Then open the Turn Windows features on or off again and select the Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5.1, click OK.

Then, please try to install the AMD Catalyst™ Control Center again.

If the above steps still not working, please perfrom the steps in this blog to fix the .NET Framework 2.0 in Windows 7:
    http://blogs.msdn.com/b/astebner/archive/2007/03/26/how-to-repair-the-net-framework-2-0-and-3-0-on-windows-vista.aspx

If you have any concerns, please feel free to let me know.

Best Regards,

Andrew Wu [MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us
    Get or Request Code Sample from Microsoft
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

• Marked as answer by bdemartino Saturday, March 12, 2011 6:02 AM
    Wednesday, March 9, 2011 9:48 AM
  • Thanks for the info.  Before I read your tips, I reinstalled Win 7.  Or rather, I used the install disk and did a "Upgrade" install which appears to be the Win 7 equivalent of a repair installation in XP.  So it overwrote the .NET problem but did not remove my programs.  I uninstalled all CCC and .NET 4.0 before doing the install.  During install, Windows said .NET had a problem and took some time doing something to repair it.  After install, I reinstalled the original 10.2 version of CCC, and it works.  So i basically just went back to my original state prior to Win 7 SP1 and CCC 11.2. 

So I'll have to install SP1 and CCC 11.2 at some point, and I'll keep the links above handy for when I do.

Saturday, March 12, 2011 6:02 AM

All replies

• do you get the solution??? if you get, please tell me also....

me also get this problem...same problem...

Wednesday, March 9, 2011 9:06 AM
  • Hi bdemartino,

Thanks for your post.

I've searched the sorttbls.nlp file in my computer, and find that this file should be a component of the .NET Framework 2.
    And in the AMD Catalyst™ 11.2 Release Notes, I find below impormant note:

• The AMD Catalyst™ Control Center requires that the Microsoft® .NET Framework SP1 be installed for Windows XP and Windows Vista. Without .NET SP1 installed, the AMD Catalyst™ Control Center will not launch properly and the user will see an error message.
    • When installing the AMD Catalyst™ driver for Windows operating system, the user must be logged on as Administrator or have Administrator rights to complete the installation of the AMD Catalyst™ driver.

You can try the steps below to resolve this problem.

Firstly, please go to Start Menu -> Control Panel -> Uninstall a program -> Turn Windows features on or off,

• If the checkbox of Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5.1 is not been selected, then select it and click OK.
    • If the checkbox of Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5.1 is been selected, unselect the checkbox first, click OK. Then open the Turn Windows features on or off again and select the Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5.1, click OK.

Then, please try to install the AMD Catalyst™ Control Center again.

If the above steps still not working, please perfrom the steps in this blog to fix the .NET Framework 2.0 in Windows 7:
    http://blogs.msdn.com/b/astebner/archive/2007/03/26/how-to-repair-the-net-framework-2-0-and-3-0-on-windows-vista.aspx

If you have any concerns, please feel free to let me know.

Best Regards,

Andrew Wu [MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us
    Get or Request Code Sample from Microsoft
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

• Marked as answer by bdemartino Saturday, March 12, 2011 6:02 AM
    Wednesday, March 9, 2011 9:48 AM
  • Thanks for the info.  Before I read your tips, I reinstalled Win 7.  Or rather, I used the install disk and did a "Upgrade" install which appears to be the Win 7 equivalent of a repair installation in XP.  So it overwrote the .NET problem but did not remove my programs.  I uninstalled all CCC and .NET 4.0 before doing the install.  During install, Windows said .NET had a problem and took some time doing something to repair it.  After install, I reinstalled the original 10.2 version of CCC, and it works.  So i basically just went back to my original state prior to Win 7 SP1 and CCC 11.2. 

So I'll have to install SP1 and CCC 11.2 at some point, and I'll keep the links above handy for when I do.

Saturday, March 12, 2011 6:02 AM
  • Hi.

I am having the same problem as bdemartino in that "Windows would not boot after installing SP1, so I did a restore".

Now I also have the 'sorttbls.nlp' issue (I get the error on starting Windows), and cannot run AMD CCC, or Windows Media Center.

I am unable to install Windows 7 SP1, and installing update KB947821 has had no success.

Following advice from your post, I unselected & selected the checkbox of Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5.1 as advised.  I then re-installed AMD CCC.

Using http://blogs.msdn.com/b/astebner/archive/2007/03/26/how-to-repair-the-net-framework-2-0-and-3-0-on-windows-vista.aspx, I ran sfc /scannow in the cmd prompt. It found and corrected errors.  But did not fix my issues.

I then ran .NET Framework cleanup tool from http://blogs.msdn.com/b/astebner/archive/2008/08/28/8904493.aspx.

Is my only option left to reinstall Windows 7?

Thanks in advance.

Friday, March 18, 2011 11:13 AM
  • Hi bdemartino,

Even I was facing a similar problem from the last few of days. It started occurring after an windows update. I guess the problem arised due to incomplete update of the .NET 4.0. It was frustrating because the CCC wouldnt run along with the Intel's Control Center. System Restore didn't help solve the problem so i waited.

However I did a windows update a few hours ago and after the restart the CCC was back running. It was such a relief.

Solution: Just do Windows Update and Restart immediately!!!

Hope that helps in your case too!!!

• Proposed as answer by ifwalkingdead Wednesday, February 15, 2012 4:15 AM
    Monday, June 20, 2011 8:08 AM
  • hi, i have the same problem to :

i have win 7 64 bit home premium - ati radeon hd 5650 - catalyst control center 12.1 - .net 4

that message that display dont find a file, was a problem because the CCC dont start up, i tried to uninstall and reinstall .net and Catalyst , backup with system restore, and nothing help CCC, but when i load the security patch updates for .net framework 3.5.1 , that function, hopes...

note: i tried when i have that problem turn on and off , .net framework 3.5.1 service, but that dont help very much

Wednesday, February 15, 2012 4:19 AM
  • Built a computer with an ATI card (HD5850) and Win 7.  ATI's control software, Catalyst Control Center, worked fine until installing Win 7 SP1 about a week ago.  Windows would not boot after installing SP1, so I did a restore.  After that, CCC won't run and gives a "Could not load file or assembly 'sorttbls.nlp' or one of its dependencies.  The system cannot find the file specified."  Everything I've read indicates this is a .NET framework issue.  I reinstalled .NET 4.0 and uninstalled/reinstalled most recent CCC (11.2).  Still get the sorttbls.nlp message.  Any idea how to fix this, or am I heading for a Windows reinstall?

I've posted logs here:

http://cid-92a9edaad1cda3a9.skydrive.live.com/redir.aspx?resid=92A9EDAAD1CDA3A9!127

i am also facing the exactaly same problem
    Saturday, April 7, 2012 2:53 PM
  • Not working... :(
    Saturday, April 7, 2012 3:04 PM
  • Hah doubtful. I got an error stating one of my harddrives was failing, might fail, or had an error. It asked me to do something now (I dont remember), or hit remind me later. As I was (am still) working on a huge school project for end of term, I hit remind me later. Three prompts later I saved my work, uploaded it for download on other computers, and restarted my computer with the problem. Figured if anything, Windows would run a startup scan and fix it. 

It did. After freezing/failing to load windows a few times and auto restarting itself. It scanned, supposedly fixed, restarted, scanned again, supposedly fixed again, restarted, froze, restarted itself (I just let it do, occasionally moving the mouse the wake the monitor up). Each time it was scanning and supposedly repairing, it would ask if I wanted to system restore. I kept hitting yes, but nothing else would happen. It would simply keep scanning and repairing. It finally restarted windows and loaded okay, or so I thought, then it began "installing updates", even though I had not installed any, checked off any, nor had seen any worth downloading left in the list. Once fully loaded, its even worse. 

Its insanely laggy. I tried to open google, so I could google the NEW error prompt I was getting (which would be this sorttbls.nlp), but it wont open google chrome. It wont let me close MSN or keep it from starting up. I cant close the error prompt, I cant click anything, or close anything. It struggles to open the task manager, and ending a process (such as msn to keep it from loading), just causes windows that i cant close and have to "end task" on, hoping theyll close. 

Odd thing is, I havent used this computer in a month. It worked fine 1 month ago. The only thing ive done so far on it, was check my email. I do that all the time, and click nothing (mostly just delete Bestbuy/walmart ads and stuff). The only thing i did today was open up youtube for some podcasts to watch, and get to working in word on my project. 

Though I did notice my stupid windows update was set to auto (dumbest thing to do ever..), and two days ago it says it updated windows defender... but i have no idea what else could have happened. I also know two or three weeks ago i woke up to find my computer on at a dark blue screen. I had to turn it off and on, load windows, to find out it had tried to install auto updates, and at some point doing the restart, got stuck. It appeared fine after that tho, and installed updates normally. 

Sooo yeah a fix would be nice, an actual fix thats understandable, cus I dont even know if I have this catalyst control thing, nor if I even use it, nor even know where to get it or whatever to reinstall. 

Tuesday, November 27, 2012 7:08 AM
  • Heres something to stump you: 

When I click Turn Windows Features on or Off, i get a 100% blank drop box. As in all those nice things you can turn on and off? Not there. It says please wait, dot-dot-dot, then nothing but white. 

Soo yeah some help would be nice. this srttbls.nlp is causing some problems. I cant open word at all. It says something about cannot load X items, cannot load this, cant load that, then says theres not enough space on the harddrive. Then I have what appears to be Word, but messed up. It will only have two fonts: Calibri and something else with a C. Neither of which are accepted for projects for schools. 

Also note: When checking the programs list, it says I have framework 4.0 extended, not 2.0.... so I dont even know if the links provided will work..
    • Edited by Riko Kaiten Tuesday, November 27, 2012 7:30 AM
    Tuesday, November 27, 2012 7:25 AM