Does System.Launcher work from JavaScript

Question

• I know this is an older thread but its exactly what I'm looking into.

Matt, does System.Launcher work from the JavaScript Metro Apps or are they considered as "running in a browser" and thus have less system access to than say C# or C++ Metro Apps?

Thursday, May 24, 2012 12:21 PM

Answers

• Hi JefferE,

You can use Windows.System.Launcher from a JavaScript app. All Metro style apps regardless of language run in the same app package sandbox with the same access to the system. Other than the UI  layer (you can't mix HTML, Xaml, and DX) they can all call any Windows Runtime class.

There is no supported means for a Metro style app to launch or communicate with a specific other app. The Launcher class can launch a file or URI into the default handler for that file type, but there is no way for the app to specify the application which will be opened.

While you can use a strange and unusual custom protocol, depending on the specific use this may not pass certification. Metro style apps must run standalone and not depend on another application being installed to be functional.

--Rob

Thursday, May 24, 2012 3:55 PM
    Owner

All replies

• Hi JefferE,

You can use Windows.System.Launcher from a JavaScript app. All Metro style apps regardless of language run in the same app package sandbox with the same access to the system. Other than the UI  layer (you can't mix HTML, Xaml, and DX) they can all call any Windows Runtime class.

There is no supported means for a Metro style app to launch or communicate with a specific other app. The Launcher class can launch a file or URI into the default handler for that file type, but there is no way for the app to specify the application which will be opened.

While you can use a strange and unusual custom protocol, depending on the specific use this may not pass certification. Metro style apps must run standalone and not depend on another application being installed to be functional.

--Rob

Thursday, May 24, 2012 3:55 PM
    Owner
  • Thanks Rob, that's what I needed to know.
    Thursday, May 24, 2012 4:20 PM