Alias not working RRS feed

• Question

• Hello

We have a SQL Server (SERVERA), a SQL Server with SSIS (SERVERB) and a server with just SSAS (SERVERC)

SERVERC also has an alias which when using SSMS works fine.

There is an SSIS package on SQLB which processes cubes on SSASA. When this is called from a job in SERVERA it fails. I did a bit of googling and found that it only works if we use the original server name and the port.

Can anyone tell me how I get it working with the alias? All instances using SQL 2016.

Thanks

SG

Wednesday, August 12, 2020 1:17 PM

All replies

• Are you referring to a DNS "alias" or a SQL Server alias?

What exactly is the error message you are receiving?

Wednesday, August 12, 2020 3:10 PM
  • Should you process the cube in Server C where the SSAS is installed ?

What alias are you referring here ? 

""SQL Server related"" forum will be migrated to a new home on Microsoft Q&A SQL Server!
    We invite you to post new questions in the "SQL Server related" forum’s new home on Microsoft Q&A SQL Server !
    For more information, please refer to the sticky post.

Thursday, August 13, 2020 2:59 AM
  • Hi

This a CNAME DNS alias that points directly to the server name (FQDN).

The SSIS Package on SERVERB is what processes the cube.

Thanks

SG

Thursday, August 13, 2020 8:29 AM
  • DNS aliases are only IP addresses and do not include the port.  

What exactly is the error message?

Most likely what you are describing is a "double hop" issue and you are getting "login failed anonymous".

See:

https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/sql-server-support/getting-cross-domain-kerberos-and-delegation-working-with-ssis/ba-p/318361

Thursday, August 13, 2020 12:09 PM
  • Thanks Tom

I don't think it is a double hop issue, I changed the connection in the SSIS package to use a specific username and password and I still got the error. And the error disappeared when I used the server name and port. I tried using the alias and port and it didn't work.

The error is "A connection cannot be made. Ensure that the server is running"

When I googled the error it suggested changing the connection string to add the port.

Thursday, August 13, 2020 1:03 PM
  • That would indicate the alias is not resolving.

What do you get if you login to the server, go to a command prompt and type "nslookup {aliasname}"?

Thursday, August 13, 2020 3:29 PM