none
Error HRESULT E_FAIL has been returned from a call... geolocator RRS feed

• Question

• No idea what's going on but I get an error "Error HRESULT E_FAIL has been returned from a call to a COM component."

on geolocator GetGeopositionAsync. Try everything nothing work, any idea? I restarted my PC, reinstall Bing Maps SDK (latest version). No luck so far, really need help Thanks

Wednesday, February 13, 2013 5:51 PM

Answers

All replies

• Still no clue what's going on, feel lonely here :-)

Anyway an interesting bit of info:

- On a fixed network works fine

- At home I use a satellite broadband connection and the error is there.

So do I need to conclude it is something to do with identifying the position via this connection?

I did the test with the Bing Location sample, which I modified to include the latest SDK version.

Thanks for any help

Thursday, February 14, 2013 9:16 AM
  • I believe that's a pretty generic error message that we see from C++ libraries when using C# or VB. It doesn't really indicate what the issue is. The geolocator library isn't a part of Bing Maps so it may be difficult for you to get an answer here.

http://rbrundritt.wordpress.com

Thursday, February 14, 2013 12:15 PM
  • Thanks Richard but I don't believe this is clear enough.

I can trap the exception but I need to know more from the error.

I believe the issue now is related to the fact that geolocator can't identify the location if I am on this particular satellite network.

On mobile app like windows phone it is much more easier, because my app will mostly talk to a GPS.

On a win8 app, I believe that identification on network is don differently, so it woulc be nice to get more detailed error message rather than a silly generic one.

Imagine that on my side I do the same and return this straight away to the app user, how would he react?

so then I give him your same answer, sorry but I believe this is a pretyy generic error and I have no clue why.

Nonsense!

Thursday, February 14, 2013 12:24 PM
  • That generic error occurs from the interlop with C++ and .NET. It's not related to Bing Maps or Win8. I've seen this type of error for years when using C++ libraries with .NET. It's very possible you are just using the library incorrectly. In your Win 8 app have you set the Capabilities in the manifest to include Location?

Thursday, February 14, 2013 12:40 PM
  • Yes of course.

As I said before, the same app and the Bing location example works well here at office on a fixed broadband not at home on a different connection.

Yes I also got this error many times before (I am not a newbie) and this is totally related to Bing SDK.

I also developed mapping application for windows phone before and never come across this issue before.

Thursday, February 14, 2013 12:50 PM
  • How is this related to Bing Maps if the library causing and throwing the error is not the Bing Maps SDK?

Thursday, February 14, 2013 2:01 PM