What is the Need of Installing SSMA in production server RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

For Oracle to SQl Server 2008 migrtaion if SSMA is used, is it necessary to install this tool in every environment like (DEV/QA/PROD)?

I have done the migration using this tool in one environment but want to know what strategy needs to be followed for the QA and PROD environements.

As once the data is migrated from oracle to SQL Server once, we can copy the SQL Server database from one to another servers by various methods, but due to the dependency of various objects ( created because of installation of SSMA tool) just copying migrated database won't work.

What I am planning is that with the migrated databse i'll copy the "sysdb" database whihc was created by SSMA extention pack installation. And along with this I'll ask my SQL DBA to copy below three extended stored procedures from master database (these are also created due to SSMA installation).

xp_ora2ms_exec2_ex
    xp_ora2ms_exec2  
    xp_ora2ms_versioninfo2

But I don' know if it is possible to copy specific objects from master database, as generaly master database is copied as a whole.

If the above approach can not be followed than I'll have to install SSMA for all the environemnts and need to perform data migration for each environment.

Please share your thoughts/suggestions on this query. Also can anybody tell me how to find the list of objects on which there is dependecy of migrated database. (like I mentioned above three extended stored procedures and "sysdb").

Thanks! for help.

Tuesday, May 29, 2012 11:47 AM

Answers

• I don't think copying extend store proces works - you have to install SSMA on all environments

http://uk.linkedin.com/in/ramjaddu

• Marked as answer by Maggie Luo Wednesday, June 6, 2012 9:32 AM
    Tuesday, May 29, 2012 12:59 PM

All replies

• I don't think copying extend store proces works - you have to install SSMA on all environments

http://uk.linkedin.com/in/ramjaddu

• Marked as answer by Maggie Luo Wednesday, June 6, 2012 9:32 AM
    Tuesday, May 29, 2012 12:59 PM
  • Thanks Ram,

Yes finaly I installed the SSMA for Oracle Extension pack,whcih actualy create all these objects (sysdb and extended stored procedures in master database)which are required for Emulating Oracle sequences in SQL Server.

But I would like to see in future versions of SSMA that , once data is migrated to SQL Server there should be no need of copying these objects. Microsoft should come up with some solution so that there is no dependecy of these objects and migrated data can be moved independently from one server to other.

regards,

Rajan Singh

Friday, June 8, 2012 4:14 AM