Difference between Local Servers group and Central Management Servers RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

Just as the question stated, what is the difference between Local Servers group and Central Management Servers, i have been trying it out but it seems they are the same. I looked on this link below:http://www.sqlskills.com/BLOGS/KIMBERLY/post/SQL-Server-2008-Central-Management-Servers-have-you-seen-these.aspx

The person claims you can run the same query using Central managment servers on one group and whatever server/instance is in that group will run the query to the databases, but it seems like you can do the same for Local server group, can anyone clarify this or explain what the main differences between the 2 and why i would use either one or both in a real life work envirnoment for managing?

Thanks

Steven

Tuesday, September 13, 2011 8:28 PM

Answers

• Hi Steve,

As he has mentioned in the article

When you register servers under the Local Server Groups it gets stored in: C:\Documents and Settings\<user>\Application Data\Microsoft\Microsoft SQL Server\100\Tools\Shell\RegSvr.xml.    That means the person who has registerd the servers, only can use this registration and enjoy the favour of Execute Statements Against Multiple Servers. Not any one else.

When you register servers under Centralized Management Server details gets stored within the msdb in:

dbo.sysmanagement_shared_registered_servers_internal
    dbo.sysmanagement_shared_server_groups_internal

So who ever logins to the server with the required previlege can access the registered servers & enjoy the multi server administration facility.

For more info on the required roles & access details on Centralized Management Server refer to this article.

Thanks & Regards, Pramilarani.R
    • Proposed as answer by Developer Thiru Monday, September 19, 2011 3:52 PM
    • Marked as answer by Stephanie Lv Friday, September 23, 2011 9:49 AM
    Wednesday, September 14, 2011 5:00 AM